Correct weight balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Mack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased my first back inflated BC (Seaquest Balance). This BC offers the option of adding weight up higher in shoulder area which is new to me. This weight is added to weight pockets right next to the tank on each side.

What percentage of my weight should be added to these two weight pockets? When I dive with a shorty I dive with 10 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JM

There's no set percentage.

These pockets are "Trim Pockets". If you dive in a head up attitude, weight in these pockets will tend to bring your head down as these pockets are probably forward of your CG.

Try different configurations until you dial in your weight and weight distribution pattern.

What percentage of my weight should be added to these two weight pockets? When I dive with a shorty I dive with 10 lbs.
This is very much an individual determination, and relates to your 'normal' trim in the water. If you shift (part of) your weight higher, it may push your head down, particularly at the end of a dive when your tank is 'bottom-light' anyway. So, experiment with shifting your weight. For example, if your 10 lbs is all on your waist, and your trim is near perfect (horizontal), you can move two pounds up, to see what difference it makes. But you will probably find you do not want to shift any. On the other hand, if you find yourself somewhat foot heavy with 10 lbs on your waist - i.e. you tend to be somewhat vertical in the water - you might try shifting weight, 2 lbs at a time, to the upper pockets, to determine if that helps optimize your trim.

Last edited:
I put one two pounder in each pocket. Don't know if this is correct. But it works for me. I dive w/ steel 80's.

I put one two pounder in each pocket. Don't know if this is correct. But it works for me. I dive w/ steel 80's.

Sounds like a good place for the OP to start, and then move it around from there. If you want your feet down more, use 2lbs. If you want your head down more, use 6lbs.

Tom

I used to dive a SP Knighthawk and dove with a total of 10lb also. I would put a 2lb weight in each of the trim pockets and then a 3lb weight in each of the integrated weight pockets.

Just remember while in transit and in between dives to pull the weights out of the front/side pockets and put them on the floor. you can leave the trim weights in. One time we were heading out in some rough seas and my buddies bcd/tank/regs fell on the floor because the weights made the rig front heavy. It was even bungeed to the boat! Luckily nothing broke. That was an interesting day of diving too...lots of feeding the fishies :D

I dive a Mares Icon. I dive with the 2-3-2-3 configuration similar to vel525. For my last dive, however, i had 5lbs in each weight pocket owing to the lack of smaller weights at the resort. It was surprisingly stable. Perhaps owing to the similarity with diving with a weight belt.

Although I did not experience this problem, I read somewhere too that you may want to consider weighting the trim pockets to prevent being pushed face down at the surface when you inflate your BC.

I have been using my Balance for almost ten years and I have two pounds in each back pocket and three pounds in each front integrated pocket.I dive in a 7mm wetsuit and an lp steel 95.

If you're bringing your Balance to Bonaire (warm water) and you intend to wear a shorty, I would recommend trying 1 lb. weights in each trim pocket and then 4 lbs. in each waist pocket (total of 10 lbs.). Adjust from there. If the 1 lb. weights aren't available, then go for the 2 lb. weights.

One more thing to consider is that the Catalina 80 aluminum tanks generally become lighter in the butt-end of the tank as the pressure drops. For this reason, your trim will change as you breathe down your tank.

Have fun and dive safe.

Last edited:
Depending on my configuration I have 2-4 pounds in each trim pocket. 4 is for a drysuit configuration with an extra vest on my torso making it more buoyant.

What you need will vary with lot's of things like your build, buoyancy of your fins and how you position your cylinder. The idea is to picture your body as a see-saw. If your feet tend to droop when you slow down or stop then move some weight upward until you balance. Make sure your BC is not riding up since that will skew the decision. You can also expect things to vary a little during the dive as your cylinder looses mass. You may start the dive tending to be slightly nose down and end it slightly nose up. With a little attention you'll find what works for you.

Pete

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom