Zeagle Ranger LTD or Omega Aquatics "The Rebel" BCD.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The con for the Ranger is the huge bladder. 44 lbs of lift is a lot. I've had issues where air was trapped. Fortunately both times this happened I was in less than 15 feet of water. Not something that I worry about when I dive. Probably wshould have just pulled a different exhaust release. Again that's twice out of a lot of dives with it and a lot of other people never had this problem. Something I need to work on since I've only had it a year. I may switch to a smaller bladder. It's very comfortable. Make sure you get fitted seperately for the waist band and the shoulder harness. It's a 2 piece system designed to be fitted this way to give you a custom fit. I have a XL shoulder and L waist band. Fits so snuggly and secure. Made of very durable materials.

If you don't need 44# of lift and liked the Ranger harness, you could easily go with a Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys, which is a Ranger with a smaller wing.

Not sure about the Omega but I have a Zeagle Tech which is the same as the Ranger without the cummerbund, has an extra front buckle and a 65# wing. I have about 30 dives on it so far and really like it. My only regret with it is buying the Octo-Z alternate/power inflator. I'm not sure of it is typical of all alternate/power inflator combos but the thing breathes very hard even at shallow depth (20ft for recent drills we did in my rescue class) and wet.

If your plan is to move to tech, then a BP/W is what you need to look at. I don't have a Ranger or Omega, but I do have a Zeagle Tech. I have tried it with doubles, and it does work, but they shift around a bit and do not feel near as secure or comfortable as on a plate.
As far as lift goes, the tech has a 65lb wing. Unless you are diving wet, this may be too much. A quick answer from Tobin would help here.
I am not trying to talk you into buying anything you don't want, but I really don't think putting doubles on a non ridgid BC is a good idea.
Hope this helps.
Charlie

If your plan is to move to tech, then a BP/W is what you need to look at. I don't have a Ranger or Omega, but I do have a Zeagle Tech. I have tried it with doubles, and it does work, but they shift around a bit and do not feel near as secure or comfortable as on a plate.
As far as lift goes, the tech has a 65lb wing. Unless you are diving wet, this may be too much. A quick answer from Tobin would help here.
I am not trying to talk you into buying anything you don't want, but I really don't think putting doubles on a non ridgid BC is a good idea.
Hope this helps.
Charlie

cwkline,
I agree the OP should look at BP&W set -up. I figured that someone would have jumped in with that solution before I could hit send on my reply. :D

I dont dive doubles right now but from what I understand you can mount a backplate onto the Tech for additional rigidity.

Going back to the OPer, a good suggestion may be to hold off on the purchase until his tech training and see if he can try out a few different configurations before his class. If not, at least speak with his instructors beforehand to get an idea of what his recommendations would be.

cwkline,
I agree the OP should look at BP&W set -up. I figured that someone would have jumped in with that solution before I could hit send on my reply. :D

I dont dive doubles right now but from what I understand you can mount a backplate onto the Tech for additional rigidity.

Going back to the OPer, a good suggestion may be to hold off on the purchase until his tech training and see if he can try out a few different configurations before his class. If not, at least speak with his instructors beforehand to get an idea of what his recommendations would be.

Bill,
I was going to say the Tech didn't have the plate option, but I checked the website and now it does. My Tech is a fairly early version, and when I got it you used wing shaped washers to hold everything firm.
Thanks for the info.
Safe Dives
Charlie

All I can say is I love my Tech. It is really easy to put on the plate or remove it depending on what you need. I teach in it, I dive my stuff in it. I help out on commercial jobs every now and again in it. All good. Shop around, try some different ones if you can and find the one that makes you warm and fuzzy. I guarantee that it won't be same one as all of us. It is a very personal thing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom