SOP for getting back to the up-line in low visilibity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been on dives and heard of divers that do it in different ways.

On smaller wrecks where there is going to be no penetration and they are basically surveying a deck with no obstructions, I know people who simply run a reel from the upline.

Other people seem fond of attaching a strobe to the upline as a beacon.

Others seem to not do any of these at all.

Thoughts? Preferences? Good/bad/situatioanal reasons why you would choose one over the other?

Thanks,
KKM

Down here there's generally no need to do other than remember where the hook was. In low vis I would say the strobe is a decent idea, particularly combined with a general compass heading.

I would use line in only terrible vis conditions. I don't want line floating around the wreck, too much already.

WW

Is there a particular strobe light out there that people recommend?

I know Ben had recommended one in the other thread re: the drysuit pockets...the PrincetonTec.

Is there one in particular that people seem to like?

KKM,
I've tried the strobe light method when doing the wreck where my traps are. Never once worked... you just couldn't see it with all the particles... Another problem is that most strobes are designed to float up and flash towards the surface, not actually laterally;

So when anchored away from the wreck I just run a line from the anchor to the wreck, and leave it there. Then when I get back I use the line to find the anchor again.

Of course that's on a wreck that I know.

I'd opt for a reel. Definately a reel in a debris field. If it's a wreck that I know, or is an easy layout [like the Idene for example], I'd just run a line if I was going out onto the sand.

I'm looking for recommendations for a reef situation as well.

eg. Flower Gardens. The surge and current can get funky and strong. The lines are permanent mooring lines so they are always there. I find natural navigation very difficult on a big reef like FG namely due to all the coral heads start looking alike. Last time I was there I didn't too far out of sight of the line and if I did I kept a couple groups of people within sight.

Thanks

TwoBit

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
What kind of strobe were you using? Or do you think we're going to have a problem with all strobes up here.

I'll have to check.. I think it was a Princeton Tec. The few times I've been on dives with strobes, it's just not made much of a difference.

Maybe in a night dive in clear water... but not our stuff...

It's not going to give you much more of an edge than you'd get with just a little wreck profiling. On an intact wreck; just draw a little map and put an X where the anchor is [if your worried you won't remember], when it doubt, whip out the map.

For a larger wreck that you want to explore more; you can always run a reel down the deck to use as a reference point.

For debris fields, I would run and manage a reel.

If you absolutely HAVE to get back to the anchorline/upline then you dive it like an overhead enviornment and run a reel/sppol and NEVER get off the line.

Dave D

I run a reel. Period.

I had one instance last summer where I got cocky about my ability to find the line. I spent 15 minutes decompressing on an upline anchored to the wrong end of a submarine and secured to a lift bag. I spent another 15 minutes swimming back to the boat against a strong surface current.

I just make sure that I take up the reel before I ascend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom