Anyone gotten sea lice this season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishdelasol

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, now is the season for sea lice...has anyone had it, yet?

This will be my first summer diving in SFLA and I like to wear a wet suit, but am SO afraid of the thought of having sea lice covering my entire body. :(

This will be my first summer diving in SFLA and I like to wear a wet suit, but am SO afraid of the thought of having sea lice covering my entire body. :(

During the past few days in the upper Keys: Picked up a good helping on my right arm hanging at 20' from a deep wreck dive a couple of days back. Other than that, maybe a half dozen or so in various places during 13 dives. Wearing a shorty.

I have a little bit of rash here and there. It's been worse in other years, so I'm not complaining.

I guess this is more of a south Florida problem, up here in the Panhandle either things are real good right now or we are just lucky, no problems at all that I have experienced or anyone that I know.

I got a few hits on the top of my feet yesterday, while working into a moderate current at Molasses Reef. I noticed it (itching) during the dive, but haven't noticed it since.

Wear a full wetsuit if you're concerned about the little buggers... minimizing exposure makes a world of difference for me (in terms of severity of reaction).

I went diving last weekend in about 50-60' off the Breakers in Palm Beach and the top of my left thigh is covered - and I NEVER get sea lice. I was wearing a shorty. I got two on my hand from the weekend prior.

As I will be diving in Florida at the end of the month, might I ask, what are sea lice and what effect do they have?

Not to Hijack this thread but I will be staying in Palm Beach and am planning on doing most of my diving up there but would like to take a day and go to the keys. What would be the best (can't miss this dive) location to go to?

Bruce

Excellent article, deepstops!
Last year we took our youngest daughter and her friend with us to LBTS during spring break. Liz got seabather's eruption, but Fred (another Kimberly) didn't. Also, Fred was taking Benedril for car sickness.
The local pharmacy suggested mixing Lotrimin (athlete's foot cream) and 5 per cent hydrocotisone. We also used Aveeno baths.

Other than a quick shower and fresh clothes, any other ideas?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom