O2 Cleaning and SPG !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireted

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone give me the run down on O2 cleaning an SPG. I have had conflitcting information that it is and isn't possible.

You need a really really stiff brush.

Can someone give me the run down on O2 cleaning an SPG. I have had conflitcting information that it is and isn't possible.

It is possible to O2 clean a gauge, but not practical for the home gamers.

Gauge cleaning involves pulling a relatively low vacuum on the gauge, and this using this vacuum to force solvent into the bourdon tube. Then a high vacuum is pulled on the gauge and the solvent is "boiled" away. Commercial gauge cleaning services can do this.

It is useful to remember that Rapidly rising pressures and O2 are a bad combo, that's why opening the tank valve slowly while purging the reg is a good idea, and slow opening needle valves, not ball valves are recommended for transfer whips etc.

Your HP hose has a built in restriction, i.e. a tiny little hole in the regulator end of the hose. This assures that the pressure rise in the hose and SPG is slow, slower still if you use the practices mentioned above.

IMO, this is why "dieseling" of any "fuel" in an imperfectly cleaned SPG is a very uncommon event.

Me? I clean the hose and spool, use Viton orings and a new SPG.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom