DiveRite vs OMS SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Okay, I’m ready to buy my first SPG and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either a Dive Rite or OMS SPG so does anyone have experience with both and can you compare?

Also, if I go with the OMS, should I get the 52mm G-240-SM or the larger 63mm G-240 (do the colors on the G-240 make it easier or harder to read).

Thanks!

<//><

Unless someone has a UWATEC Master Diver Pressure Gauge they’d be willing to sell …

I have an OMS SPG that I really like. It's the larger version in PSI only. I think it's perfect size and it's easy to read. I don't have any experience with the Dive Rite SPG although I have many other Dive Rite products. I think the quality of their gear is excellent so I don't think the SPG would be any different. Check out this thread though and see what they have to say.

Dive Rite SPG thread

I have the OMS G-240-SM. It tells me how much gas I have left in my tanks, so I guess it does its job well enough.

I would choose it over the G240. First, the G-240 is marked in 250PSI intervals and it has BAR intervals. The SM is 100PSI intervals. If I needed BAR, I'd buy a dedicated BAR gauge. Second, I think the colors on the G-240 are goofy (Rule No. 6), and combined with the BAR intervals, the gauge is cluttered. I like the cleaner look of the SM. The SM is plenty big, too. You don't need to drag around a hubcap.

I keep watching E-bay hoping that misfortune will befall some Uwatec owner that forces him/her to sell the gauge.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
I have an OMS SPG that I really like. It's the larger version in PSI only. I think it's perfect size and it's easy to read. I don't have any experience with the Dive Rite SPG although I have many other Dive Rite products. I think the quality of their gear is excellent so I don't think the SPG would be any different. Check out this thread though and see what they have to say.

Dive Rite SPG thread

Thanks, I'm guessing this is actually a case of "win-win" either way.

Can you tell me which OMS you have? These seem to be the options http://www.omsdive.com/spg.html From what I can tell, the largest is in both PSI and BARI (the one on the right with all the colors).

<//><

I have the G 240. It looks exactly the same without the bar increments under the PSI. It is available in PSI only which is what I have. LP has the PSI and bar version for $75 USD.

LP

AzAtty once bubbled...
I have the OMS G-240-SM. It tells me how much gas I have left in my tanks, so I guess it does its job well enough.

I would choose it over the G240. First, the G-240 is marked in 250PSI intervals and it has BAR intervals. The SM is 100PSI intervals. If I needed BAR, I'd buy a dedicated BAR gauge. Second, I think the colors on the G-240 are goofy (Rule No. 6), and combined with the BAR intervals, the gauge is cluttered. I like the cleaner look of the SM. The SM is plenty big, too. You don't need to drag around a hubcap.

This is a very good point. I forgot to mention that I do have the G240SM on my stage bottles. You know I might just switch them and see if I like that better.

Reads in 100# increments. Seemed like a no brainer.

If I get any older and the thing gets harder to see, I'll pull an Uncle Pug and get in-mask stick on lenses.

That was I can tell funny stories of my lens migrating around the inside of my mask, and me having to do eye-ball contortions to read my gauges.

K

We've tried both the G240 and G240SM and found the SM version to be easier to read. The G240, as already mentioned, has marking intervals of 250psi which we thought would be okay - and it is to a degree. However, the G240SM (100psi marking intervals) makes it much easier to read and is less cluttered as someone already mentioned. The colors only make sense if you dive based on those 'warning' colors. Simpler the better IMO.

Can't lose with Dive Rite.

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
Okay, I’m ready to buy my first SPG and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either a Dive Rite or OMS SPG so does anyone have experience with both and can you compare?

Also, if I go with the OMS, should I get the 52mm G-240-SM or the larger 63mm G-240 (do the colors on the G-240 make it easier or harder to read).

Thanks!

<//><

Unless someone has a UWATEC Master Diver Pressure Gauge they’d be willing to sell …

Haha... I have one... I dont think its all that great. Just nice and purdy and easy to read...

FOr your main cylinders, I would suggest the Dive Rite... Very nice, no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom