Has anyone participated in the "Dive with the Gentle Giants" program at GA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spanocha

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I signed up to dive with the whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium (Atlanta) and I was just wondering if anyone else has done it. Any reviews you would like to share? Any complaints?

What is the interest rate on the loan you'll have to take out to do it?

I have not, I think it is a cool idea, but not for $300. I guess it will just be superelitist or I'll have to volunteer (which I would if I were closer)

~Jeff

Yes, you have to use their equipment, but they do allow you to use your own mask.

As far as the price is concerned, I think it is a nominal fee when contrasted with the price I will eventually pay to travel to Isla Hollbox. It's a good deal when viewed from the proper perspective. Although it remains an aquarium dive, it is still the only place in the Western hemisphere where you can see captive whale sharks, let alone swim with one.

would probably be too much of a liability to let you use your own gear.
even when I dive at the TN Aq as a volunteer we have to use their regs and BC's even though my personal gear is in better condition.

would probably be too much of a liability to let you use your own gear.
even when I dive at the TN Aq as a volunteer we have to use their regs and BC's even though my personal gear is in better condition.

I doubt it much about liability, because there is liability in providing the gear also.

It's about health of their enclosed underwater ecosystem. they don't want to bring anything in that will add possible bacteria, polute, add other algae, or any other oganism to their water system.

You can bring in your mask, but they will make you disenfect it before you can dive with it in order to protect their water system.

makes sense if you think about it. A lot of the aquariums that allow diving have rules like this.

It just doesn't seem right to me. The GA Aquarium needs to learn how to better care for them
before they let the masses in to swim/dive with them.

I doubt it much about liability, because there is liability in providing the gear also.

It's about health of their enclosed underwater ecosystem. they don't want to bring anything in that will add possible bacteria, polute, add other algae, or any other oganism to their water system.

You can bring in your mask, but they will make you disenfect it before you can dive with it in order to protect their water system.

makes sense if you think about it. A lot of the aquariums that allow diving have rules like this.

agreed but, we use our own mask, fins and wetsuits at Tn and only need to put them in the chlorine water if any are wet when we get there. I would think that more critters would live in booties and wetsuits than on a regulator, unless it's ones habit to let their regulators sit with water in the exhaust tees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom