What if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogxman

Contributor
Reaction score
Just posting a thread that could be in an a "What if" forum.
I could not get the clear answer on this question nowhere.
What of the actions of rescue diver should be if he finds an unconscious person. He is supposed to get this person up as soon as possible. But that can be dangerous for the rescue diver himself (let's say he needs a deco stop). What to do - to accompany the body to the surface or to drop the casualty's weight belt and let him go?

If the diver shows no bubbles, signs of breath, or doesnt respond to shaking. I would probably drop the belt, try to keep the airway open and start a controlled ascent until my deco starts, then I would let them go. You will not be able to help them on the surface if you are bent, now there is a 2 diver resuce. However if the diver was still moving air I would keep them with me as long as they kept breathing once they stoped I would send them up. There are a lot to do with what ifs and rescue....

I fear there is not one answer.

What I would do:

Szenario 1.: Unconscious, nonbreathing or breathing victim, I have a short deco stop (honest answer is, that I can not say a time as it depends on who the victim is): Skip the deco, bring him straight to the surface.

S.2: Unconscious but breathing victim, I have a longer deco stop:
Do the deco (or rather a part of it) with the victim.

S.3: Unconscious, nonbreathing victim, I have a longer deco stop AND I know first-aid-trained person(s) a the surface who will find the victim very soon : I would let the victim go and do the deco.

S.4: Unconscious, nonbreathing victim, I have a long deco and nobody at the surface: I would either keep the victim down with me for a short deco or skip the deco, depending on who, where, when.

Thanks,

that can be helpful.
Need to browse those links yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom