left battery in computer/problem??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i never got around to removing the battery from my computer at the end of last summer, and did not dive in the winter........was that a huge no-no?? (stored in closet in house)

I take the battery out of my computer when it dies (about every 2 years). You should not have any problem other than a bad case of dry skin.

LOL you're so funny:) i thought i'd buy an extra battery and take it with me (going to little cayman in six weeks) or should i just go ahead and put a new one in there? that battery only has like ten or twelve dives on it, and then it's been sitting in the closet. but i don't want any issues on this trip of course.

I only worry about the right battery, the left one is ok to leave in. :)

You did not say what kind of DC and I have four DC's which I never take the batteries out, well, until they die! Are you supposed to remove the battery based on what your owners manual says?

Aeris and Oceanic are similar. My computers are Oceanics. You should have plenty of battery life left. But you should carry spare batteries and know how to change them.

"Was that a huge no-no??"

I sure as all heck hope not!
I do not change mine until the computer tells me to.

I carry two spare sets of batteries at all times, wherever I go.
Disc shaped CR2052's or whatever they are.
Mostly I sell them on credit to poor souls on dive boats for margaritas when we hit the beach.
However: I once got a kiss and a 10 minute back rub from a former Miss Teen USA for a set of batteries and a quickie (2nd stage adjustment),...(we went to high school together though and were previously acquainted, so I am not sure if it was really much of a victory.
Chug

Buy an extra & bring it with you if you're worried(dive shop might have an extra anyway)---chances are you'll carry the new extra one back with you the way it got there, in your carry on............btw, that's how I care for mine....

no reason to remove batteries, if anything opening up a dive computer more than you have to is asking for a problem.

I used to change batteries before they needed it at the lifetime suggested in the manual. But some of those were older computers with shorter battery life and I don't remember if they even had battery indicators. With my current Suunto Gekkos and Vypers, I don't touch them until the battery shows 3 bar. Even if that happens at the beginning of a week trip I know the computer will be fine for the week, plus I dive with a backup computer anyway. I also have spare batteries on hand but have yet to need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom