Uwatec Smart Com POS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I just got back from COZ and did some SICK dives... With rental gauges due to the POS Uwatec Smart Com I purchased.

I purchased a Cobra about a year ago and loved it but my wife lost it somewhere between the house and our hotel :( Off to the local Mexico dive shop to get a new puter. The only decent one available was a Uwatec Smart Com.

I read the manual and Holy Crap this thing made my Suunto look like a kinder care tool set. I loved the huge display and the easy touch backlight. I did not like the fact that your fingers had to be wet to get the buttons to work.

I started my first dive and bam 10 thousand alarms that went off. I kept getting workload alarms which seemed odd since I was drift diving, I also was told I was out of air 35mins into a 40ft dive so I ascended and no matter how slow I went the thing kept chirping that I needed to slow. Once I was back on the boat I checked the settings again and everything looked fine (I was set at L0 in case you are wondering). I did 2 more shallow dives with similar results.

On my fourth dive, 1st dive of day 2, I checked the computer and all looked fine. I descended to with my group and went to check my depth and the computer was locked on a screen that showed my PSI, Total Dive time, no fly and that was it. I showed my buddy the issue and signaled to continue the dive. 10 mins or so I checked the "Smart" com and noticed my PSI was the same so it was not registering anything. I terminated the dive did a 5 min saftey stop, boarded the boat and spent the rest of the day watching everyone else enjoy a great day of diving.

The next day I went back to the dive shop and showed them the computer which was still on the same screen showing the same info. He apologized and gave me a refund since they did not have a replacement for me. I rented some gauges and was back in time for the afternoon dive. This was similar to my first dive at 30 -40ft and I was down for 68mins which was a huge difference from the 35mins the "Smart" com gave me.

I am shopping around for a new computer and of course the Galileo is the one that looks the best to me but after my experience with the Uwatec Smart Com I think I will pass and go with the VT3...... :shakehead:

I have went through 4 or 5 smartcom computers to the point where scubapro now knows who I am. :D

The display is nice, but I agree, I want to pass off and get the VT3 instead.

Sorry to hear about your bad SmartCOM experience. I have the same computer but I haven't experienced the same level of problems. In fact, mine works fine.

When I read your mention of the alarms, though, I sort of chuckled. On a recent dive trip, during my first couple of dives the damn thing kept beeping like crazy. It seems like everything is an "alarm" state - there are even alarms that beep to alert you that alarms are beeping. The "overexertion" one just seems to go on and on, even when I'm practically motionless and breathing evenly. I was getting embarassed as the thing would beep and everyone on the dive would turn and look at me. I'm sure the constant "beep beep beep" was as relaxing for them as it was for me :wink:

Fortunately I had my travel notebook PC with me. I used it to disable all the audible alarms except maximum depth. I check my gauges often enough that if a problem arose I'd see it rather than have to hear it.

Anyway, it sounds like you got a bad unit, something not uncommon when purchasing a computer of any type. While I don't mind the SmartCOM (I actually really like their integrated logbook software) I got myself a Cochran to replace it and now it runs in Gauge-Mode when I'm diving my single tank configuration.

I know what you mean about the alarms, but if you set it up right those can go away. I've had mine 2 1/2 years and have 170 dives on it with only one issue when I inadvertently set it at 98% O2 (not the computer's fault). It still has 33% batter life. I think you just got a bad unit.

I have went through 4 or 5 smartcom computers to the point where scubapro now knows who I am. :D

I purchased a pair of Smartpro's and a pair of Smartcoms. Of the four, three of them have died on me within 50 dives. The last Smartcom has not been used.

I should sell off the unused one but I'd feel bad about selling off a piece of equipment which I think is going to fail.

Why is it that Uwatec does not come clean with regards to their problem products ? I believe several people on this board have now experienced these problems to the extent that it cannot be the individual user.

My husband has the Sol I have the Terra....so for we love them..no problem...I did get them directly from a US shop...I couple beginning problems with my Terra was due to not reading the manuel thru and not making the correct setting choices...I corrected that...the other issue I had was the unit came with no device to have it link to the computer...tried a generic reader and it didnt work..so I bought the Uwatec unit and it works great...I just think for the high cost of this unit the laser reader should be included with the units..

I dove with a SmartTec and moved to a Galileo Sol the first of the year, and have never had any isses with either unit. I really like the Sol and Uwatec's IR data transfer and dive log software. Sounds like there have been several issues with Smartcoms.

The main knocks I have heard about the Sol are:
1.) Cost;
2.) Its size (which for me is an advantage due to bad eye sight);
3.) Windows Vista drivers (corrected with current software version);
4.) Compatability with Apple computers (yes Apples can run Windows programs, IR dongle chip set issue);
5.) Various one off issues on Scubaboard: too rapid no-deco time, bad unit.

Most folks seem to really like them. Since I take underwater photos the AI wrist mount with the ability to read multiple tanks is really nice.

Good luck!

Dan

Roy, what problems did you have with them? Was it the same issue with them all?

I agree the larger size screen for my eyes is great...I don't find the size a problem as the consoul curves nicely around the arm...I have my old computor on my consol as a back up...as a dive master the wrist mount works better for me when ascending with students...

Roy, what problems did you have with them? Was it the same issue with them all?

All of the problems I had were different.

The first unit had this display "E-6" where it had to be sent back to Scubapro for a check and they replaced the unit free.

The second unit I got simply died on me. It wouldn't turn on nor would it respond to the IrDA receiver.

The third unit it simply froze in log book mode and sent back to scubapro where they gave me a new unit.

The fourth unit refuse to register at all. It only turned on when I turn on the air but after that, it goes blank and even after going in the water, there was no responds from it.

Talk about a string of bad luck. Right now I'm paying off the drysuit and then I'm dumping the smartcom for the VT3 computer instead.

Back
Top Bottom