How do you catch an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK.... I don't hunt when I'm diving, but I know many do and have nothing against it. I certainly eat most everything that comes out of the sea! :D

Could someone who knows about this stuff have a look at the video posted in this thread?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whine-cheeze/237137-you-disgrace-diving.html

I want to know if this is really out of order, or par for the course.

Is there an easier way to do it?

I posted in the other thread, but you use a Hawaiian spear and tickle it out of the hole. Grab it, then bite it or stab it between the eyes and bag it. Much like in the video.
Yeah..... I'm no hunter, but logically I can't really think of how you'd do it and NOT end up looking like what was going on in the video.

Seemed to me someone was simply collecting lunch - not torturing some animal just for the hell of it.....

People aren't always that realistic about where their food comes from.

Apparently, commercial octopus fisherman use long lines, and pots (same concept as crab fisherman in the Bering Sea). The pots look like long tin cans, and take advantage of the octopi habit of seeking shelter. They pull up the pots, the octopi are wedged deep inside, and they transfer them to seawater holding tanks.

Makes more sense than impaling them between the eyes, hauling 'em up, and biting 'em...

Also it seems more fisheries are banning the practice of using spears, hooks, or gaffs, when doing diving fishing... Octopus Fishery

Apparently, commercial octopus fisherman use long lines, and pots (same concept as crab fisherman in the Bering Sea). The pots look like long tin cans, and take advantage of the octopi habit of seeking shelter. They pull up the pots, the octopi are wedged deep inside, and they transfer them to seawater holding tanks.

Makes more sense than impaling them between the eyes, hauling 'em up, and biting 'em...

Also it seems more fisheries are banning the practice of using spears, hooks, or gaffs, when doing diving fishing... Octopus Fishery
I should imagine there's a difference between commercial fisheries, and a couple of guys hunting for themselves.

You don't see many commercial fishermen using spearguns either! :wink:

octopus...yum.

Different people and different cultures have different opinions on what should be eaten or not and what is an acceptable way to get it. I think there's some areas that are acceptable or unacceptable to the majority of people, and then there's a huge gray area. But it seems common for people to forget where their food comes from and sometimes there are knee jerk reactions.

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about eating octopus because of the apparent intelligence and personality you see when you get to dive with them. I tend to avoid octopus when I've been diving, and get back to it after I've been dry a bit. Which really makes no sense at all, but there you go.

Okay, my hubby just called me a bleeding heart unrealistic tree-hugging hypocrit. He may be a little right..... I love sushi. I do not eat octopus or cuttlefish, because, as a diver who loves to see them and watch them in the ocean, I cannot eat them.
On the other hand, I grew up on a farm. My uncle had his own family slaughtering house... Helped there ,done that... Not to the cows I named and played with though.... Love my steaks blue... Love sushi.
But I guess the Pollyanna in me wants to think that this is not how they catch and slaughter them.
So, Kim, I apologize for being mean to you on the other post and I appreciate you asking this to find out some facts.. I need facts, but don't necessarily want them on youtube before my morning coffee....

I think, as others have pointed out here, that seeing the animal killed is a lot different than seeing it on your dinner plate or in the supermarket. I do eat Tako but I've never killed one to eat. I sort of disconnect the eating part when I dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom