Why not Tungsten instead of Lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrobs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok being a materials engineer and a diver and knowing how much people are willing to spend on gear, I got to wondering why I haven't seen anyone selling tungsten weights. Tungsten has a density of 19.25 kg/l compared to 11.34 kg/l for lead. So Tungsten is 1.7 times more dense and hence a Tungsten weight would be almost half the size of a lead weight. I know tungsten is alot more expensive (probably 10 times more). I know that caring 24lbs of weight for my drysuit dives is not only alot of weight but also alot of volume and volume = drag, Imaging half the size of weights you currently use (not half the wieght just half the size).

Is anyone at all interested in this? Is this just silly or are divers interested in paying 10times more for soft weight bags half the size? I might consider making some if there is enought interest.

FYI, it really is not feasible to cast tungsten into hard weights (it melts at like 3000F) and would be prohibitively expensive to machine to shape).

I would already think twice about jettisoning my existing weight belt (cold water diving) because of its cost.
Would I really be prepared to jettison a weight belt that cost more than my reg?

Probably not a good mindset when you look at how many divers die with their weight belt still in place.

I find the price of lead weights unpalatable, especially since I have lost a couple. Paying ten times more would be a deal breaker.

Paying $80.00 for 5lbs of weight vs. $8.00. I don't think so. If I ever saw that in my lds, I just laugh and pass them by.

how bout coated steel? and if they ever do penetrate the coating and rust, throw the SOB's away and go buy some more.

cheap cheap cheap

how bout coated steel? and if they ever do penetrate the coating and rust, throw the SOB's away and go buy some more.

cheap cheap cheap

Steel is even more drag than lead, as it is much less dense.

Weight belt drag is not an issue in the least. It rides in the slip stream created by the upper body and gear. It would be nice to have denser ballast for people who require >30lb of weight, but not at 10x the cost of lead.

Acually Stainless Steel is not much cheaper than lead.

Back
Top Bottom