Raja Ampat: You'd better go now because ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just opened up the July issue of Outside magazine and sure enough, a seven-page spread on Raja Ampat. I quit taking Outside years agon in protest of their uncanny ability to find the last, best places on Earth and get them in print for mass media distribution. I only have it now because someone, some relative or another I guess, gave me a subscription for Christmas, and won't fess up to it.

So if you think there's a lot of demand on RA now, the magazine has all of the "Getting There, Getting Around, What to Do, Where to Stay, etc." in print for EVERYBODY out there. So if you can do it now ... do it now.

It's no secret to anyone on this Board. Would you rather have a elatively small group of dive junkies know about it , or broadcast it to a wide spectrum of readers, not just divers, in an international magazine? I've lived in places that have gone from pristine to trashed after the news has been spread far and wide about them

Outside Magazine. The horror the horror!!! I hate that yuppie poser rag with the latest coolest things to do.
I have seen this before with rock climbing and mountain biking. Once the magazines do cover shots on an area it is over run, degraded, and never the same. Call me elitist but once the good places get on the radar screen of the general public it is over.
Luckily it takes some effort to get to Raja Ampat.
No, I have never been there but will make it someday

I have not seen the article...but does it talk about:

1. The serious Malaria you can get there?
2. How about those horrible Indonesian airlines and there flights are always late or canceled?
3. How certain parts of that country can be unfriendly?
4. How long it takes to get there?
5. There are only a few liveaboards that are worth there salt?
6. Sorido resort is horribly expensive?
7. Hotels in Sorong are a step above a youth Hostel?
8. The currents could sweep you to Palau?
9. You do not want to do Lembeh because it is black sand diving and weird poisonous creatures lurk about!!!

I'll come up with a few more when I think a little longer!

10. The Kri resort has no hot water and you share a bathroom.
11. When a storm comes up and you are on a small dive boat pray you get back!

Maybe you should write to their "Letters to the Editor" and tell them they forgot everything in your list! Though I actually thought that hotels in Sorong were a step "below" a youth hostel. :wink:

Actually, Outside magazine has a habit of always making everything sound wonderful and rosy, whatever they're writing about ...

Actually there is a nicer hotel (new) in Sorong called the J Meredian (sp) it is decent. But lets keep that between us!

Now back to the reasons not to go there!
12. No AC.
13. It is Hot and Humid.
14. It will ruin you for any other diving you will do!....(perhaps I should not include this one?)

Perhaps I can add more scary travel nightmares to scare the yuppies off. I personally have had my flight delayed for 18 hours, and the airline tried to make us wait in the crappy Makassar airport, all the while refusing to tell us when the next flight will be. Then they told us that no plane can fly to Sorong at night because the runway has no lights. I'm not kidding you, it literally has no lights.

Several friends have also caught malaria in Papua (no need to mention where exactly, or that there are no mozzies when you're in a liveaboard).

Also, the locals' staple food papeda looks and tastes like homemade glue, drenched in fishy gravy. Don't get me wrong, it may be the height of culinary delights for some, but to me it's fishy snot. Urgh.

Just don't tell them I'd do it again and again and again and again to get to R4, the best of the best diving in Asia. :wink:

When I was leaving Sorong they told us the flight was gonna be 10 mins early. It ended up being 3.5 hours late. We got to Manado as the only flight to Singapore for two days was boarding. The Sorong(So Wrong) Airport is the pits to hang out in.

When I was leaving Sorong they told us the flight was gonna be 10 mins early. It ended up being 3.5 hours late. We got to Manado as the only flight to Singapore for two days was boarding. The Sorong(So Wrong) Airport is the pits to hang out in.

You did not hang out in the Lounge with AC?...Oh I am thinking of Balipakin (sp)...that was really bad also.....LOL....my flight was only 2.5 hrs late both ways in Sorong!...best Airport I've been in was Rangrioa a cement slab with a thatched roof!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom