Suunto Gekko Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djminus1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What does everyone think of the Suunto Gekko console. I can pick one up for $200 used this weekend if I want. I just bought my first scuba setup and I have the Oceanic Sviv Navcon Gauges. I was considering selling that unit and getting the Gekko? Would this be a wise choice or should I save up for a better model?

Whether another model is "better" depends at least in part on what type of diving you plan on doing. Suunto is a company that makes good, conservative, dive computers. It doesn't have a back-light (it uses a luminescent face instead). It will not officially download to a PC (although some here on the board have worked out a way to do that). Beyond that, you need to decide whether you prefer a console or a wrist mount.

I dive a Suunto Stinger (wrist mounted), and have recommended the Gekko to several as a solid value to friends wanting an inexpensive dive computer, or wanting a back-up computer. If you want to dive nitrox, the Gekko will do that. If you want to be able to monitor tank pressure, and/or monitor gas changes, the Gekko will not do either of those. It is a great choice for many recreational divers, and a poor choice for technical diving. So, the bottom line is - it depends - on the type of diving you intend to do with it.

I have one, and I think that it's great for the (occasional) diving that I do. It is pretty easy to navigate its menus and the display is pretty straight forward.

Where I teach we have those on our rental units. While I like the models that are above it the Gekko is a very good computer.

Back
Top Bottom