End of June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartJ

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got some vacation time! Looking to fly in to Manila or Cebu around the 20th June for 8-10 days. Where should we go next?

Want to do lots of variety diving without having to treck 1/2 km with kit to the pier each day ... low/mid-price liveaboards? (But not prepared to spend $3000/week!!)

Last minute destination suggestions would be great - thanks in advance!

to be able to give you suggestions, we need to know what type of dives you are looking for. your budget, dive experience etc.

Thanks for the interest Jigo ....

We don't mind a variety of dives, just not too much of one thing (i.e. wrecks or muck).

Budget is low-mid. Really don't want any luxury - but clean & safe. Of course, if we can see the sea that's a bonus :) ... don't need discos, but like to eat in the evening.

Experience - about 35 dives each (me + wife) in a variety of conditions (boat, shore, drift, etc.)

Really want to be able to do 3 or 4 dives a day while we're there .....

Ideas?!?!

I'd suggest Puerto Galera and stay at Small La Laguna. For liveaboards check out Apo Reef and Tubbataha.

Thanks for the interest Jigo ....

We don't mind a variety of dives, just not too much of one thing (i.e. wrecks or muck).

Budget is low-mid. Really don't want any luxury - but clean & safe. Of course, if we can see the sea that's a bonus :) ... don't need discos, but like to eat in the evening.

Experience - about 35 dives each (me + wife) in a variety of conditions (boat, shore, drift, etc.)

Really want to be able to do 3 or 4 dives a day while we're there .....

Ideas?!?!

You need to state your budget in dollars - low to mid is pretty subjective but that is my range. I usually do without aircon where I dive and a fan at night is fine but usually turned off. Tubataha reef is only dived on live aboards from March to May so that's out. I haven't been to Apo Reef and am not sure of the best dive season there. It is the Typhoon season now so you may have to dive around some weather where ever you go.

I've never been to Puerto Galera so can't comment on the variety of dives there. I can recommend Malapascua for diving if you fly into Cebu especially. They have a variety of dives (thresher shark, manta, reef sharks and lots of macro), places to stay and good selection of restaurants.

I would also recommend the Dumaguette area especially around Apo Island. You can get there by fast ferry (3-4hours) from Cebu. If you stay on Apo there are only two places to eat and stay but many on the board stay a resorts on Negros Island which have nicer ammenities and maybe a greater variety of dives. You strongly recommend staying on the island at least a few days so you can dive all the island sites only 5-10 minute boat ride from the lodge.

The third choice would be Sogod Bay (fly more directly from Manila or ferry/car from Cebu) where you can get 3-4 dives a day. Lots of corals and fish maybe even a whale shark (season dependent). Don't mis Padre Burgos pier at night for great macro.

Cabilao (fly from Manila and car/local banca) is another nice island but depending which resort you stay at they only dive 3 times a day including a night dive. Nice coral walls, lots of fish but no big schools - least while I was there.

Good Luck deciding. Hopefully you pick one and decide to come back for the rest.:D

in addition to jbb's list of dives accessible from cebu, you can opt for alona beach in panglao, bohol instead of cabilao.
try to do a search here for previous threads about these places. they have been extensively covered before. then come back here for more inputs and details.

Polaris dive resort on Cabilao Island is easily accessible from Cebu, they can arrange transfers, not expensive and terrific diving. They will dive 4 times a day if there are enough people who want to. There is a great pool and hammock around the sprawling property to relax while having a beer overlooking the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom