Which island to stay on Canary Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilker

Reaction score
I was planning a trip to Malta but seems I will need to cancel it. Instead I am going to go to Canary Islands, I hope.

Which island is the best for diving ? Any recommendations would be great.

BTW, I am a PADI OW and if I have chance I also would like to do my Advanced Open Water there.

I am thinking of a trip out to the canaries soon.

I've never been diving there but from the reviews/reports I have read Tenerife seems to be by far the most popular for divers. Lanzarote is a distant second and none of the other islands seem to get a mention. Most popular isn't always best but it is a start.

Conor once bubbled...
Out of curiousity, why are you cancelling Malta ?

There has been a problem with the flight. The flights I can find now are too expensive and I can find a better destination for such price.

The best island for diving is El Hierro, and once there a small village known as La Restinga. There are six diving centres , no hotels, only apartments and four restaurants. There are no direct flights to El Hierro, except from Teneriffe and Las Palmas.
Water temperature at this time of the year is 20 degrees celsius on the surface. You will need a 5mm wetsuit. Viz between 70 and a 1OO feet. No night life worth mentioning, just diving and diving. The island has beautiful landscapes and the locals are very nice. For more information try these links:
www.el-hierro.org
www.centrodebuceoelhierro.com

The Canary islands have a range of diving to suit nearly everyone. All the islands are different, the choice you make also is to what you want to do out of water.

Tenerife has good vis, life in the water can range from nothing to lots of small fish. only problems is the rather seedy side of the island caused by the rowdy crowds.

El Hierro is good for diving and nothing much else, so once you have done your dives, get a book!

Gran Canaria, is good underwater and above, the diving is more mature on this island, their are several good centres located near Maspalomas.

Fuerteventura is a bit tricky, only a couple of dive centres, and is really geared up to wind surfing. The winds make a lot of the good sites unusable to any but the most experienced diver.

We have a centre on Lanzarote. The dive market is mature both in and out of the water. Probably the most cosmopolitan island, you will have lots to do in and out of the water. There is a marine park with a collection of sunken wrecks. Most of the diving is done from the shore, mainly because of the relative youth of the volcanic island depths of 80+ metres can be found within 20 metres of the shore.

You will see a variety of Sharks, Dolphins, Tuna and very large Jacks and around another 500 varieties of fish.

Prices on the island are compatible with the rest of the Canaries, but the apre-dive is probably much better.

Hope this helps?

Pro Dive Lanzarote

I've dived a few times in Teneriffe and found the viz and fish life pretty good. I can only remember the name of one of the centres, which was Los Gigantes Dive Centre in (youv'e guessed it) Los Gigantes. I've stayed in the town quite a few times and it's quiet enough to be relaxing, but not in the middle of nowhere. The dive centre staff were very helpfull and they have developed a ray feeding site.

Also on the other side of the island at Puerto de la Cruse (excuse any spelling mistakes) there is a small airliner that can be dived in, from memory, around 35m. I haven't dived it yet but it is on my wish list. I think the centre that does trips to it is Atlantik Divers.

Hope this may be of help. Hve a good trip.

Hi I would recommend go to Lanzarote, you have a couple of dive centres in Playa Blanca. Go to Rubicon Diving in the marina. Instaed of going form the shore you will go out by boat and see different dive sites. The set up is great with hot showers and nitrox for free.

Hey guys: I think the OP already decided where to go. This thread is from 2003.

frogoutofwater:
Hey guys: I think the OP already decided where to go. This thread is from 2003.
Besides, (s)he hasn't been online in three years... :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom