Tekna DV-3x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help me out with info on a Tekna DV-3x. I have owned a Apollos, but sold it lasy year. I wanted to buy a Mako, but a work associate has a Tekna for sale. It is in like new condition.

My thoughts are, it is a older scooter, right. They don't make them anymore? Where will I get parts etc? What should I do? I can probably get it for about $650.

Would it be worth it? i want to saty ubder 800 for now, or should I get another Apollo?

Thanks

You should be able to get anything you want from DPV Repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help me out with info on a Tekna DV-3x. I have owned a Apollos, but sold it lasy year. I wanted to buy a Mako, but a work associate has a Tekna for sale. It is in like new condition.

My thoughts are, it is a older scooter, right. They don't make them anymore? Where will I get parts etc? What should I do? I can probably get it for about $650.

Would it be worth it? i want to saty ubder 800 for now, or should I get another Apollo?

Thanks
When first out, the Tekna sold for about $500.00. Then they did a modification to satisfy Navy Seals and the '3X' or similar designation was added. Batteries can be replaced by yourself. Go to a LARGE established battery supplier in your area. I use Cargo Batteries here in Denver, Colorado.
There were prop replacement blades made of aluminum by a company in Florida that seems to no longer exist. I am still trying to track them down.

If you use a Tekna, go to REI or any climbing place and buy a lower body harness (around the legs and waist). This can easily by adapted to the handles and takes the strain off of the arms on long dives.

Vehicle is slightly negative so keep it teathered to you. If you drop it, it will float down and away.

To bad they are not still in business. It is a great vehicle with variable prop pitch and about a three(3) mile range.

If you know of someone who repairs them, I would love to have the information.
Cordially, Joch Taylor 04/14/2009

The DV-3 was the original version and the 3X was a later version with a stronger motor, but less run time. Lots of thrust, but not so much run time.

The DV-100 was a longer body version with an extension and larger batteries - which is what became the Oceanic Mako started when Tekna went under.

Range on any of them is dependent on the prop pitch used. More pitch = more thrust = more power used = less run time.

The lights in the DV-3 and DV-3X were a pita and most of them have been removed. Both aluminum and plexiglass nose pieces are available that allow them to be used a bit deeper - maybe 240 ft rather than the normal 180. Similarly, the charging plug was problematic due to leak issues and is not used in the Mako. Plus the batteries give off hydrogen and it works best if it is allowed to vent, so removing the nose cover makes a lot more sense.

They are also basically designed to be neutral in sea water and are a bit negative in fresh water. Some divers add floation in the form of neoprene or PVC tubes to get neutral buoyancy in fresh water.

I'd get a tekna before I got an Apollo just because of the parts commonality with the Mako (and many other scooters in terms of motors, props, etc. since the rear end fo the DV-3 formed the basis of many current designs.)

A climbing harness would work, but if you dive a BP wing or a BC that will support/allow a crotch strap, you can add a D-ring to the crotch strap and then hook a tow strap to it to both take the strain off your arms and allow you to drive it one handed. The tow strap is just a piece of 1/4" rope looped over the base of each handle (or if equipped, clipped to the tabs provided) with a doubel ender clipped at the apex to attach it to the D-ring on the crotch strap. You can use a Pursik or other limited slip knot to make the strap lenght easily adjustable.

I have rebuilt several, still have a DV-3X. The DV-3X had the weed guard, fast charger, muliti-pitch prop.

I installed a harness to mine with adell clamps to the shroud in standard configuration.

The motor on mine is hot wound a bit. The batteries I paid about 34 dollars for each. My scooter is negative in fresh and saltwater which can be useful because I can park it on the bottom and it will remain where I left it.

The Tekna uses hydrogen absorbing agents in the battery compartment that should be refreshed yearly. The motor compartment is sealed from the batteries. Of the scooters I have rebuilt I removed the light on all but the one I currently have.

Charging the Tekna, it should be placed on the shroud and the charge port removed and allowed to vent for about 30 minutes before comenicing charging. If the capacitor in the charge circuit is bad there can be a spark which if not vented before connection could explode if hydrogen is present. It is not practical to remove the forward housing before charging on the Tekna, there are numerous screws which are sealed with silicone and O rings, just cannot be done reasonably.

A good Tekna is still a fast and powerful scooter but of course not as strong as some of the most recent units which of course still use the Tekna prop and shroud. Frankly, scooters are something of a PITA. To heavy to transport anywhere, fragile and expensive.

N

Back
Top Bottom