Caribbean Explorer II - formerly Sea Dancer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Verbshark

Registered
Reaction score
The Caribbean Explorer II liveaboard trip looks pretty damned enticing, but now I'm finding weird and conflicting information on the boat.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Carribean Explorer II or any recent experience with the boat while it was the Sea Dancer? A couple years back reports on the Sea Dancer were pretty bad--generators crapping out, toilets--uh--likewise, A/C failing, food spoiling, and so forth.

The latest report I've found on the Sea Dancer (seven months ago) says the passengers had absolutely no complaints about the boat, but that was pre-purchase.

Of course, on the other side of that coin, Capt. Nigel on the Rodales message board (a former Peter Hughes employee, I think) claims the CEII is not seaworthy (not sure exactly how he knows that).

Anyone have any details on the most recent refit for the CEII? Is it a bargain or a deathtrap?

Thanks.

Sea Dancer was redone a few years ago a real nice boat.

The Sea Dancer was the oldest boat in the PHD inventory. I did a live aboard BEFORE she was re-fitted and I have no complaints.

Also, all that I have read in the Chap Book (Undercurrent publication) has nothing but good things to say.

Question? Does PHD still operate this boat?

NO! but these people run a very good operation.

Worked on the Sea Dancer in TC. Sailed her to Bahamas for Dry Dock, engines, generators, compressors, were all refitted. Boat was in very good condition. Was on board her in South Caicos in Nov. 2002 crew had no problems with her. Just watch out, for she has very loud exhaust.

I lived and worked on the sea dancer for a year and was sorry to see her leave the peter hughes family .And have spoken with clay the new owner recently and the boat is in tip top condition you wont be sorry!!
Capt nigel or whatever he calls himself these days left the boat a long time ago and has a vendetta against the Peter Hughes Company so his opinion is tainted take it or leave it .

HI

My wife and I are scheduled November 8th on the CBII for a week worth of diving. I guess we will find out first hand about the condition. We are meeting friends to dive with, so haven't heard anything about the boat, but our friends did the CBI and were satisfied. Apparently the same crew.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom