Aladin Prime - infrared data transfer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serious_fun

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Aladin Prime, and now, after a few dives, I would like to start a computerized logbook using the SmartTRAK software.

I do not have an infrared device on my laptop, and do not know which one works well with the Aladin Prime. The manual says that there is a list of recommended interfaces on the scubapro website, but I sure can't find a list anywhere on that site...maybe I'm blind but I've searched a few times.

so: can anybody enlighten me on what infrared interfaces work well with this dive computer? I'm running Windows Vista, and would prefer a small USB interface. Perhaps any old interface will work, but I'd rather ask before I purchase.

thanks a lot. :14:

I always used a generic IR adapter. I would pick it up at a local store, cost about $20.00. They would burn out in about 2 years, (or should I say not work anymore) and I would get another one. I stopped downloading after the last one quit.
I no longer use that computer, and have lent it to a friend.
Safe Dives
Charlie

thanks for the info...I'll pick up a generic interface this afternoon. :14:

Just a short follow-up in case anyone else has similar problems:

I had a hell of a time finding an iR interface...here in Hong Kong the retailers don't stock products for that long...and everything is bluetooth these days, as you know..well I finally found one at a small shop for HK$65 (~US$8.35), took it home and loaded the drivers.

Then I had to load an update for "MDAC components" from the Microsoft site; I'm using Windows Vista, Home Premium SP1. Now SmartTrak loads and runs alright although I have to click "ignore" on an error message every time.

:lightbulb Too bad it doesn't use bluetooth, but thats a small problem I guess. I didn't even think about it when I bought the Aladin Prime...but I like it so far.

:lightbulb :lightbulb The Uwatec-Scubapro website was useless for me; it took me on an endless loop looking for SmartTrak updates, info. re: infrared interfaces, etc. Not very impressive...maybe because I was searching in the Asia-Pacific region? I still like their products though.

Last edited:
Posted via Mobile Device I will be picking up that prime 3 on Saturday, how do you like this unit? This will be my first purchase it is coming in a package deal. I just wanted to get your two cents on it. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device I will be picking up that prime 3 on Saturday, how do you like this unit? This will be my first purchase it is coming in a package deal. I just wanted to get your two cents on it. Thanks

I've only used it a few times, so I can't really give a fair answer.

I'll give it a good workout next week in Malaysia (Sipadan/Mabul)...hey I leave tomorrow! :D

I have the same problem with the MDAC plug-in or whatever it is -- I have to click ignore every time I use the program. But it works fine. I actually really like the logging software.

I like it. It does everything I need, and is one of the less expensive models. It's easy to use and easy to read. That being said, the IR port died after ~ 20 months. But - Scubapro gave me a new one.

I have been through 2 primes that the IR port died, I contacted Scubapro/Uwatec and they replaced it hassle free. I don't really like the interface on it, trying to use the dive planner is a hassle, but I like its ease of use and the upload capability. I can even sync to my Phone (Works with MS Mobile and Palm) so I can get a look at my info between dives, this wins big points in my book!

I also tried a cheap generig IR device and didn't have any luck with drivers. I finally shelled out the coin for the Uwatec brand and have been satisfied. I also experienced the error when starting SmartTrak. I put in the disk and ran it again and stopped getting the error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom