Relocate to Indo: your advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serious_fun

Registered
Reaction score
hi-

I'm currently in Hong Kong, but have some employment options opening up in Indo...I am fairly aware of the living and working environments in the cities listed below...but I'd like to know if any of you have experience getting to dive sites from these spots. Can you fill me in, roughly, on travel time to dive spots? Which one of these cities would you choose to live/work in? Why?

thanks-:14:

city list, from North to South
Medan
Jakarta / Bogor
Semarang
Surabaya

Hi SF
Jakarta dive spots:
- Thousand islands : Depend on the dive sites, 1 - 3 hours from Marina Ancol which can be reached less than 45 min from downtown Jakarta, less than 2 hour from Bogor. - Shangyang and tempurung: 1.5 - 2 hours to Anyer pier from jakarta; plus 1 hour by boat.
- Krakatau island: 1.5 - 2 hours to Anyer or Carita; plus 1.5 hour by speed boat. Do not use fishermen outrigger. The sea can be very rough.
All above assuming weekend early morning trip. Not applicable during work day jakarta or going back home in the evening.

Semarang: The nearest dive spot is Karimun Jawa island, there's nice resort - 30 minute by private plane or 4 hours by fast ferry.

Surabaya -I don't know getting to kangean Island but you can enjoy weekend diving in Bali; 30 min. by plane to DPS Bali.

If I can choose - I prefer Bali :)

hello Wisnu- thank you so much for the good information. :14: It was very helpful.

yes, Karimun-jawa looks good, (3-4 hours off of Semarang). I still have much research to do...but I am definitely leaning towards one of those cities.

Bali would be nice; I would have to rationalize a lower salary with the benefits of being there...hmmm.

I may have more questions for this forum as I narrow my search. :coffee:

thanks again-

I live in jakarta & surabaya before and will choose either jakarta or surabaya.
you can access any dive site from either city by flight.
Jakarta has local dive site and domestic flight to bali, lombok, manado(not sure). While surabaya you can access bali, lombok either by flight or driving. You will have no problem in going to dive site from those two cities.
You might want to consider other things like direct flight to hongkong, safety, culture and living expenses since you will live there most of your time.

Rgds
Andy

wow! 2 years since I wrote that post! Time flies. I just signed another employment contract here in HK, so Indo is out until 2012 at the earliest. :work:

makasih for your replies Wisnu and Andy_W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom