Need rec: My first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caliban

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't know exactly what to ask yet, but I'll try. I'm starting out and want to just get all my own gear right away. The computer choices are tricky. I want air-integrated, and features like time-to-fly, nitrogen loading, back light, etc. I don't need PC download capability as I don't use Windows and don't try to hack around that fact. I want to spend as little as possible. I will buy the big ticket items at my LDS if I need to do so for warranty purposes, but frankly I've so far had lukewarm (and some negative) experiences with them. I will get my reg there, as my hands are pretty much tied as far as having service done there.

I like to buy things once. I'd rather have a computer that has features I won't use yet than to go wanting for them later and have to buy again.

Any recommendations? If in your responses you can think of things the computer doesn't have, that would be useful information for me. Thanks in advance!

Do you prefer conservative computers or liberal ones?

Also, it seems that there may be a contradiction in what you say you want. No offense intended, but "I want to spend as little as possible, and "I like to buy things once" are sometimes in opposition to each other. There are lots of cheap computers that will do the basics, but you might find later that you want features you didn't really think you needed at the beginning.

Just a thought.

Scubatoys has some Oceanic VT3 demo computers for $775 complete.
It's one of the best of the wireless AI computers with a serious set of features that you're not likely to outgrow any time soon. Nitrox, multi mixture, buddy monitoring just to name a few.
I believe they come with a full warranty which would make the demo status a null point. Double check with ScubaToys before purchase to make sure and that it is a manufacturers warranty. That said Oceanic makes a great product and is well known for customer service and backing their product even beyond the warranty. Scubatoy is also widely know as the best of the online scuba retailers and everything they sell is factory authorized.
Another smoking deal is from LeisurePro they have the Oceanic Atom 1.0 complete for $550 check with them for warranty it may be through them or manufacturer as they recently became Oceanic Authorized. The Atom is a sportwatch diver computer. If you don't have vision problems that would make the size a problem it is a very well featured wireless AI dive computer.

I agree that those things can very often be in opposition, and I think that it's more likely an exception when the thing you have to buy once is the cheaper one. Still, it's useful information to put in my post, IMO, and there are certainly exceptions that proove the rule. If the difference between models is PC integration, I'll forego that for a decent savings, for instance.

Anyway, in looking myself, I kind of favor the Suunto Cobra (not Cobra 2). I like that they use new research and numbers for microbubbles or whatever. I think I'll be conservative (never thought I'd say that! :wink: but I actually don't know the feet on the ground difference, as in how that translates to my minutes of diving/etc. That said, I do know that the Suunto is conservative.

Thanks for the other post as well. I'm pretty anxious about wireless AI computers. I've read enough negative feedback about them on the LP sales fora for individual items. I'm not really all that trusting of bluetooth for such mission-critical tasks. That said, the Oceanic Atom 1.0 is a great deal, has good (albeit minimal) reviews on LP, and if LP is truly a proper dealer that makes me feel pretty good about buying there.

Thanks folks, keep em coming!

--
There are two kinds of people in this world - those that say there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't :wink:

Last edited:
Personally, I recommend the Nitek DUO to all new divers. It gives you room to grow and only buy the computer once.

Wisdom 2. Does what you want it to and has a great 2 year warranty.

I use a Cobra and love it. Nitrox capable, AI, conservative, small, looks good, and has the option to mount an SK-7 compass to the top. I am very happy with it.

Only downside that I have with it is the 3 min safety stop does not have a second counter (it goes 3-2-1 mins). As for no fly time, I have not actually noticed if mine displays that. You might want to look into it.

Anyway, in looking myself, I kind of favor the Suunto Cobra (not Cobra 2). I like that they use new research and numbers for microbubbles or whatever. I think I'll be conservative (never thought I'd say that! :wink: but I actually don't know the feet on the ground difference, as in how that translates to my minutes of diving/etc. That said, I do know that the Suunto is conservative.

I love Suunto computers. I've been diving them since I started diving 8 years ago. As you know, they are among the MOST conservative. I've found that the penalties for short surface intervals and faster ascent rates are pretty severe.

There are two kinds of people in this world - those that say there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't :wink:

:D:D

I personally prefer The Oceanic and Aeris computers. They are for the most part the most user friendly computer I have ever used. The air integrated can be either hoseless or hosed. The ProPlus 2 is great for my over 40 eyesight and even though it has some features that I don't really need to use right now, I know that I won't be kicking myself later saying I should have gotten.....

+1 for the Nitek Duo or any of the other 'me too' computers (Cressi Archimedes, Zeagle N2ition, TUSA, etc). I've had the older Cressi version of this computer and in 5 years of diving it's the ONLY thing I've not replaced.

BTW - with the ScubaBoard discount at ScubaToys the Zeagle version will only cost about $320. Zeagles version also has the best warranty.

While you are at it put it in one of these too (DSS bungee mount). You'll never be sorry you did...
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1310

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom