Sharm trip report - 1st-8th June 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shelski

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Check in at Manchester was a nightmare - huge queues! Just be patient. Worth printing out the page from Thomsonfly website offering 5kg extra free baggage allowance for divers showing their certification. A godsend when the rip-off merchants at Sharm airport try and sting you with excess on your way home!

Depending on what you're after, the diving is superb at the moment. Personally, I've never seen any of the "big stuff" in Sharm. This was my 8th visit. Day one, local dive - 5 mantas! Day 3, back of Jackson reef - total of 19 hammerheads over two dives! Day 5 - in search of whaleshark (a few other boats had seen them) - unfortunately no joy. However, did snorkel with manta on surface interval :eek:) Day 6 sailing out of Naama Bay and near one of the local dive sites, the skipper spotted a whaleshark ... we snorkelled with the spotted beauty for 20 minutes! Truly magical :eek:) Water temp ranged from 24-26 degrees. Divers in shorties said they were cold on occasions. I wore a 5mm semi and it was perfect though give it a week or two and i'm sure a 3mm will suffice.

We dived with Ocean College which as usual were great. Stayed at Ocean Club which is basic but perfectly adequate for a base. Breakfast was fine but I wouldn't bother with the half board there, dinner in the main restaurant was luke warm - not very good to be honest.

I have to say the prices in Sharm are gradually creeping up, from taxis to eating out and drinks though still not excessive by UK standards. Don't be ripped off by the taxi drivers. You tell them the price, when they refuse, walk away. They soon call you back. We went into Old Sharm one night and went into an outside cafe with a big screen to watch the football. No alcohol on sale so we has 2 rather warm cokes. They tried to charge us 30 egyptian pounds for each one (£3!) They said it was a miniumum charge to watch the football! So beware!

So, all in all a great week. Any questions? Feel free to message me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom