Aeris Air Link

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CmbtApl

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Aeris Atmos LX BC with an Air Link. I used it for a week on about 14 dives. I really don't like the Air Link at all. The design seems to be difficult to use. I actually had the Air Link removed last week and went back to the original inflator/deflator.

1) When using the AirLink to release small amounts of air to maintain buoyancy by lifting the hose up to release air from the BC by pushing the button with a thumb, the index finger naturally covers the exit valve and prevents air from releasing. I had to use the big dump valves instead. It just seems that the position of the valve and the release button are positioned to counteract each other.

2) Buddy breathing requires that the diver with the AirLink gives up his normal regulator and uses the AirLink for his own air. I'd prefer that I keep my own regulator.

3) When the dive shop installed the AirLink on my BC, they only installed the AirLink regulator... there was no ball to release air, nor an extended hose. It seems that my dive shop, which is an authorized Aeris dealer, didn't know about this or neglected to install it.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to return the AirLink but my dive shop won't take it back because I've used it. However, I wouldn't know I didn't like it until I used it.....

I do like the Aeris AI computer and the BC, however.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I recently purchased an Aeris Atmos LX BC with an Air Link. I used it for a week on about 14 dives. I really don't like the Air Link at all. The design seems to be difficult to use. I actually had the Air Link removed last week and went back to the original inflator/deflator.

1) When using the AirLink to release small amounts of air to maintain buoyancy by lifting the hose up to release air from the BC by pushing the button with a thumb, the index finger naturally covers the exit valve and prevents air from releasing. I had to use the big dump valves instead. It just seems that the position of the valve and the release button are positioned to counteract each other.

2) Buddy breathing requires that the diver with the AirLink gives up his normal regulator and uses the AirLink for his own air. I'd prefer that I keep my own regulator.

3) When the dive shop installed the AirLink on my BC, they only installed the AirLink regulator... there was no ball to release air, nor an extended hose. It seems that my dive shop, which is an authorized Aeris dealer, didn't know about this or neglected to install it.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to return the AirLink but my dive shop won't take it back because I've used it. However, I wouldn't know I didn't like it until I used it.....

I do like the Aeris AI computer and the BC, however.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Find a new dive shop. Most Aeris dealers will honor the Aeris 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like an item you take it back and exchange it. If the dealer says no then give Aeris a call and ask them what to do, Aeris is a very good company to deal with! If its been longer than 30 days your out of luck.

I've had an Airlink and don't like the full setup w/ the ball. It makes the inflator hose long and annoying. On the Aeris BC I had earlier this year I added on the Airlink lower assembly to the standard 16" hose. On the long hose you will have full head range movement and it works good (...but is long and annoying), w/ the 16" movement up/down/left for your head is restricted. Also if you want to add a dive alert don't even think about it (takes away more head movement). The AirLink worked and did exactly what its supposed to and breaths pretty good, however my complaints come down to personal preference. All octo inflators will have these same problems for the most part. I just like to stick w/ my standard inflator and octo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion... I was about 1 week past the 30 day timeframe when I got back from my trip.. I will, however, give Aeris a call.... but I thought that's partly what this forum was intended to do... talk to the manufacturer..... I'm going back to an octo as well.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion... I was about 1 week past the 30 day timeframe when I got back from my trip.. I will, however, give Aeris a call.... but I thought that's partly what this forum was intended to do... talk to the manufacturer..... I'm going back to an octo as well.
I ended up selling my airlink for $50-$75 on ebay. I then bought a demo Aeris Gyro octo from scubatoys for $50. The airlink is more expensive and you should be able to sell it (for a big loss of purchase) and then buy a demo octo unit for $50-$80 and just about break even.

I love my Air Link, it breaths great and better than my daughter's Zeagle integrated octo but you definitely need the long hose/ball for safelty reasons. I do not have a second shoulder dump so I must use the low P corrugated hose to vent on ascent. If I have donated my primary and am breathing off the Air Link I need the ball. I use it on every dive (just to make sure it is working ok) and with the longer hose find it to be very comfortable. It is a very good solution if you are trying to travel light. Add it to a Reef Rider and wireless AI computer and you are good to go! If you are a cold water diver and have lots of junk anyway there would really be no point. Obviously, if you have a second shoulder dump you really don't need the ball.

I like the Airlink, yes it did take a couple dives to get used to the dump button location next to and past the mouthpiece. After that, it became 2nd nature, but still easier to gently pull on the hose to dump instead. No problems either way.

I wonder why manufacturers don't make the LP hose a bright color. Especially if it's the alternate integrated air source and one might need to find it in an emergency. Black hose on a black BC? Why not yellow hose on a black BC?????

The idea with the integrated octo (Air Link) is that you donate your primary second stage (talk to your buddy about this before hand) and you breath off of the Air Link. It is always at the end of the corrugated hose near your left hand so it is easy to find. I put a long yellow hose on my primary second stage to help other divers get the idea that this is the one they are supposed to take. If I was more thorough, I would get the yellow housing for my primary second stage (Omega II). Having an ambidextrous primary second stage makes donating easy as there is no right side up, right, left, etc. You can breath off of it in any orientation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom