Barnstable Area Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobmarley

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everybody,
My girlfriend and I are new to diving and we have done a total of 9 dives in the Rockport/Gloucester area since being certified in the beginning of May and we love the diving there. This weekend we are heading down to Hyannis and we were wondering if there are any really good shore dives that we might be able to try out. Here is what we are looking at right now:
Sandwich Town Beach
Corporation Beach
Hathaway Pond (maybe, we really want to catch that first lobster)

Are there any other really good dives that are close to Hyannis at all, I have a Barnstable beach sticker so we can get into some beaches without paying (always a plus). Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

I dove Sandwich town beach last year at this time. Parking is free before 9am. I didn't see anything off the right side of the beach (sand), so stick to the left side. It was a pretty dive with interesting topography and what I would call a small kelp forest, but I don't think that's correct. It was a very shallow dive (16fsw), but enjoyable. Note there is also a noticeable current there.

I'd do Sandwich Town Beach or Corperation Beach.
Hathaways has a sunken cabin cruiser that is sort of cool but hardly worth the cold murky water. (I hate freshwater)

The Hyannis port jetty is a nice dive but very shallow.

Shore diving is few and far between on the Cape. It's one big sandbar. STB and Corporation beach are quite shallow especially at low tide. You might want to try Garbage Beach for some depth. I've heard it's a nice dive, but I've yet to dive there. I think your best bet would be a high tide dive at STB...plenty of parking, easy entry and exit, can suit up at the car, close to Hyannis, seasonal restrooms and you might get lucky and get a lobster or two. Only thing to watch is the current which goes toward the canal. You're not going to be sucked into the canal entrance, but you could end up in front of the private homes off to the left. It would be a bit of a swim against the current plus a walk back to your car if you're not paying attention(I can tell you from experience!).

LobstaMan

if you do go to STB you can stop by Aqua Center

they are on the road to the beach itself also in hyannis is sea sports

Cape Cod Sea Sports - Home

Definitely stop in the Dive Locker. Mike is great and they have regular dives at the local locations so you can get a good orientation with them. There are a few good dives on Cape, but like everyone said, it's still one giant sandbar.
We go to Hathaways a lot to practice and try out new gear - it was 64 degrees this weekend - great vis and HUGE bass. If you're new, I'd start there.

Unfortunately, no lobster. I think you might find some at STB (?) and maybe Harbor View near Sesuit in Dennis. Watch for boat traffic.

Vis about 15', nice warm water, not much depth (max 20'). Lots of crabs, spider crabs, small fish, plant life. Seems too shallow for lobster.

Is there access to the water near Sesuit? Signs say no scuba in designated swimming areas.

Chris in Brewster

Signs say no scuba in designated swimming areas.

Umm, isn't this against Mass state law, which says that nobody can deny diving rights in any water where other public recreations are permitted?

I would tell you to stop by or call The Dive Locker as well. I'm sure they can help you find a spot to dive this weekend. They may even be able to suggest other divers to go out with.

I went to Sandwich Town Beach last weekend and saw tons of lobster, flounder, crabs, and skates. I think you can hit a good tide this weekend as well. Get to the beach around 8 - 8:30.

Have a great weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom