Vintage Hardhat and Double Hose Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Brownstone Park/Quarry is hosting a Vintage Dive weekend June 20-22. This is a great opportunity for those interested in the roots of our sport to experience this type of diving first hand. We have all seen the great underwater scenes from Sea Hunt, James Bond, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Men of Honor so why not come out and join us for a peek into the past.

Several vintage organizations will be in attendance such as the the Historical Diving Society, Northeast Diving Equipment Group, the National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers, the Cultural Researcher Divers, and members of Long Island Sea Searchers Dive Club.

Several members of this forum will be in attendance from the double hose side and we usually have a few extra regs for people to try out. Additionally the Hardhats bring a plethora helmets and systems for all to try (very, very fun). Members of these groups have spent countless hours preserving their equipment and educating themselves, but the biggest reward comes from when someone new tries and enjoys it.

All in all the vintages dives makes for a fun weekend and it's a nice change of pace from ones normal diving routine.

More info can be found at Brownstone's page and please do not hesitate to post questions here.

» Vintage Dive Rally at Brownstone Park What’s Happening at Brownstone Park: Information about the activities and events that have been happening at Brownstone Park

If you see this banner please stop by and say hello...

Last edited:
Just a reminder to those in the area that we will be down at Brownstone Quarry for the weekend starting tomorrow. As said before this is a nice change of pace from everyone's normal diving routine and the chance to try something new. Hope to see some of you there!

I was planning on going, but Ive decided to work on a photography fish survey at Bashan Lake this weekend. I need to get some photos of the catfish to prove there isnt just bullheads in Bashan as the DEP has in their literature; I saw a giant white catfish last week and my boss flipped when I told him. I want to do one at Brownstone also and have not got a buddy commitment and am looking for one ; I want to get a picture of the Brownstone Catfish aslo.

If anyone sees the giant catfish at Brownstone, can someone let me know if its Caudal fin (tail fin) is forked, slightly concave, or flat.

Its too late now for the weekend as I like to make my plans 3 days before a dive. Im not into last minute dive planning.

The hard hat was a great event last year and is well worth going to if you can get some dives in also. You can probably find some of the pics Dave and I posted if one searches the forum.

Also Brownstone is getting better by the day.

Anyone for a fish photography dive next weekend at Brownstone; or even a Wednsday night dive at Brownstone?

Last edited:
Sounds great, wish we could come.

Want to see some pics! would also love to see how the banner turned out.

I was planning on going, but Ive decided to work on a photography fish survey at Bashan Lake this weekend. I need to get some photos of the catfish to prove there isnt just bullheads in Bashan as the DEP has in their literature; I saw a giant white catfish last week and my boss flipped when I told him. I want to do one at Brownstone also and have not got a buddy commitment and am looking for one ; I want to get a picture of the Brownstone Catfish aslo.

If anyone sees the giant catfish at Brownstone, can someone let me know if its Caudal fin (tail fin) is forked, slightly concave, or flat.

Its too late now for the weekend as I like to make my plans 3 days before a dive. Im not into last minute dive planning.

The hard hat was a great event last year and is well worth going to if you can get some dives in also. You can probably find some of the pics Dave and I posted if one searches the forum.

Also Brownstone is getting better by the day.

Anyone for a fish photography dive next weekend at Brownstone; or even a Wednsday night dive at Brownstone?

There are at least 2 of them, 3 ish feet long. I saw them crusing by last week.

Thanks Dave. Im really intereted n snapping some shots of them.You would be amazed at what could appear in our waters at any time and the DEP doesn't know about because they don't do surveys in all locations and use surface electrofishing to get at the fish. Diving adds a whole new dimension as now we can survey the fish at deeper levels.

I recommend everyone in CT interested in fish get the Fish ID/Survey book (~$20) at the DEP store on Elm St in Hartford. There is a comprehensive history of our water basins and fish distribution and migration and the early naturalists.

There is much to be explored here in CT and the Brownstone isn't all that explored when its comes to recent day fish surveys.

I wan to ID as many fish as I can in the quarry. I never realized how many different types of sunfish we have. I always thought a sunfish was a sunfish. The determining factors come done to the amount of anal fin spines and gill configurations.

I would like to take this opertunity to announbce that Chris (big) has b!tched out on his promise to come and dive in fresh water, and have hero piks taken of him diving A MK V. ..............waiting for lame excuse! And don't gimmie some lie about diving some old wreck somplace!

I would like to take this opertunity to announbce that Chris (big) has b!tched out on his promise to come and dive in fresh water, and have hero piks taken of him diving A MK V. ..............waiting for lame excuse! And don't gimmie some lie about diving some old wreck somplace!

But I really was diving some old wreck someplace....

My plan was actually to go Sunday not today. However.... there are T-storms forecast for tomorrow now so I might end up being a weenie anyway.

But I really was diving some old wreck someplace....

My plan was actually to go Sunday not today. However.... there are T-storms forecast for tomorrow now so I might end up being a weenie anyway.

BAH!.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom