I hate tornadoes :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Got up this morning, intending to go blow a couple of tanks of Nitrox and see if we could get some fishies for dinner...

Thunderstorms training over the area... were supposed to be gone by the AM, but they weren't.

I called the other folks who were going and cancelled.... and an hour later, was glad I did - there was a tornado indicated on Doppler about 3 miles from here (!)

That's about as close as I like 'em, thank you very little! :)

Oh well, there's always Tuesday....

we got chased by a waterspout... went out on a day that was dull and nasty-looking, but no really ugly precip and nothing severe predicted.

Ended up using the radar to dodge the "hook"! :eek:

Later heard on the radio that indeed there were waterspouts reported.....

(If you avoid going out on all days when there could be thunderdunders around here, you won't be on the water from roughly May until October!)

Another tornado in destin? Too frequent an occurence for me. I was there in December just be fore new years and there was one too close for comfort. I think it was just North of Ft. Walton

Is now over central Florida....no tornados just a soaking rain. System looked realy narly until it got to Daytona ... then it just petered out

I don't worry nearly as much about those.

Waterspouts are a risk ANYWHERE there are thunderstorms over the open water, though, and that's basically anywhere there is nice water to be diving in....

In the summer time you pretty much have to accept them as a potential risk, keep the radar set powered up, and look at it once in a while on long range. You can get 40 miles or so warning on an approaching squall line, which is enough to figure out what part of it (the thinnest!) you want to deal with if you can't get around it.

I don't know of any that have actually HIT Destin - usually the waterspouts don't come inland, and the ones inland don't go out over water. Not quire sure why, but that's how it seems to work out.

We ended our last dive of our DIRF class during a tornado - in November of all times! Pretty shocking to surface in a quarry to waves in your face and hail! Nowhere to hunker down either so we just hoped for the best and watched the show. Instructors from Seattle very "entertained" by the whole scene. Indy and surrounding area got hit pretty hard that day. We were lucky to be passed over.

Waited for one to pass through where we planned to dive one day. They sure can screw up viz in a shallow quarry!

Genesis once bubbled...
I don't worry nearly as much about those.

You can get 40 miles or so warning on an approaching squall line, which is enough to figure out what part of it (the thinnest!) you want to deal with if you can't get around it.

Be careful looking for the "thinest" part of the squall line. When you see a break in a squall line, that is where downbursts and sometimes small tornadoes tend to form.

Mark

You have to know how to read the radar... its not quite as simple as "aim for the thinnest spot" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom