Lake Ontario Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greg somers

Reaction score
Whose done it and who can advise a good operator? What is there to see? Give me the haps people...Have gear,will travel,will get wet....
Cheers helpful ears,
The Gasman

Man, that's real hard core...

If you got the gear and will travel, why not go down to the Florida Keys? The water is so warm down there, you can dive with just a pair of shorts. We just got back and the water was about 84 degrees F.

I've gotta dive man....can't go without......it's just TOO hard.....
The Gasjunkie :loopy:

The names of the operators escapes me, but but I can tell you that from the Canadian side you have great dives in Kingston & Brockville.

Great diving can also be had in Lakes Erie (Sanilac Shores has a great rep) and Huron (Fathom Five Marine Park -- Tobermory).

Don't know anything about Superior except that the wrecks are deeper & the water colder.

FYI: diving in the lakes you will need 7mm or a drysuit to be comfortable.

That being said, I have had better dives in the Lakes than in The Keys! IMHO the Keys are vastly overrated.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

Greg,
There are a couple of great dive shops in the 1000 island area for diving. There is a ton of wrecks in Kingston, Rockport, Clayton area. Wrecks range in depth from 30ft to 240ft. Clayton area water temps for this time of year are 65f to 70f. More towards Rochester, NY in the Puttneyvill area is an excellent wreck in 120ft of water called the St. Pete, its a 3 masted Schooner that sank in the early 1800's. If you get the urge to come down this way to good old Rochester, NY or want to meet for some diving in the 1000 islands which in case you dont know, is where the mouth of the St. Lawrence river meets Lake Ontario. This is where the Kennedy's made all their money boot legging. Divers still find full bottles of liquer in the river from ships that the Kennedy's use to run. I have dove almost every wreck up there down to 170ft. So give me an email if your interested. By the way hello to everyone who reads this feel like I know you from just reading but not posting.

Picton Ontario - Ducks Dive (www.ducksdive.com) I have quite a few in the Kingston area that might be good for you too (I'll get you a list).

Agree with SubMariner - don't forget about Tobermory (I haven't got there yet, but have heard great things) A few of us are tentatively planning to go in September -- but we'll see.

Just to let the rest of you know --- I've got a charter on at the end of August, that the Gasman has a spot reserved for him. We'll be doing the Keystorm, Lillie Parsons and the Robert Gaskin. Various wrecks all near Brockville, Ontario.

Divegal,
Some friends and I will be diving the Keystorm and the Vickory on Aug. 25th with Scuba Safari. Let me know if you and your group will be up there on that Saturday. Maybe we can meet. I have a morning charter booked. Maybe if we all get to meet each other we can Charter another boat all together. Its always good to meet new people that love the same sport as you.

Originally posted by scubanarc
Divegal,
Some friends and I will be diving the Keystorm and the Vickory on Aug. 25th with Scuba Safari. Let me know if you and your group will be up there on that Saturday. Maybe we can meet. I have a morning charter booked. Maybe if we all get to meet each other we can Charter another boat all together. Its always good to meet new people that love the same sport as you.

I've arranged for the charter through Bottom Time Dive Charters from Brockville http://www.bottomtimecharters.com

Send me an e-mail about diving at Tobermory. So far I'm free that weekend. Cool pics of your "small" tank...

http://www.tobermory.org/

My buddy from Germany which has lived here for around 2 years now says yo just go up there. The dive boats just take when you get there. There's no need to reserve were staying in a hotel the first night an d camping the rest of the weekend. Should be lots of fun. Even if you get one person to go come on up. P.S. where you from? We have been doing a great wreck down here called the St. Pete in about 120ft the past couple of weeks. The captain, rumor has it he killed his wife and everyone on board. We have been looking for proof. Beutifull 1800's 3 masted schooner. Come on down when you have time. Keep in touch for the Tobermory trip!!!
JZ

Back
Top Bottom