Looking for a new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
I discovered a 1/2 cm tear in the bladder of my DR Venture Wing this morning. Not sure how it happened, but I wasn't happy to see it. So I guess I have to buy a new wing. My question is about the new welded cordura bladders like the Oxycheq signature wing. Is there a real difference in durability vs. the urethane bladders? Is it worth paying the extra money to get one?

Also, has anyone had any experience with HOG Gear? In the interest of saving money, their wings are $199.

I discovered a 1/2 cm tear in the bladder of my DR Venture Wing this morning. Not sure how it happened, but I wasn't happy to see it. So I guess I have to buy a new wing. My question is about the new welded cordura bladders like the Oxycheq signature wing. Is there a real difference in durability vs. the urethane bladders? Is it worth paying the extra money to get one?

Also, has anyone had any experience with HOG Gear? In the interest of saving money, their wings are $199.

I would say you are looking for a wing with durability and will last a long time...

The OxyCheq Signature Series have a 25 mil inner bladder and the outer shell has 5 ounces of urethane under it... making it very robust. The outer shell is made in the US, has greater UV resistance and if it is cut does not fray... Cordura from overseas tends to fade to a brown color and frays when it is cut or sliced.

Then there is the Extreme Explorer series of wings.. the outer shell is three times the abrasion resistance and puncture resistance than kevlar and it has the 25 mil inner bladder.

OxyCheq Wings

I use an Oxycheq 30lbs extreme - it is seriously well built, highly recommended. I'd suggest saving an extra week or two for it...
z..

I've been diving the HOG wings in all types of configurations and environments as a test diver for more than 6 months now and can't say enough good things about them. Finally there is an affordable, well designed, very functional wing for whatever type of diving you do. Sure there are some other really great wings out there, but if you can't spend $350-550 or just don't want to, seriously consider getting a HOG.

If you don't want to repair your venture wing, I'll buy it from you. Please let me know. In the interest of disclosure, I assume dive rite has replacement bladders, so even if you couldn't patch it (1/2cm is less than 1/4") it should be fixable.

I have not had much experience with diving other brands of wings (although I touched and looked at many when I was deciding on my own wing), but I dive an Oxycheq Mach V 30# and love it. It trims out great, is very sleek, and is very durable. I can't imagine personally ever needing the extreme version, but I'm sure there are people out there that dive in much harsher conditions than I do.

Also, on a trip last year to La Paz, many of the local tech divers and some of the European tech divers that were on vacation all gave me many compliments on the quality and design of the wing.

If you don't want to repair your venture wing, I'll buy it from you. Please let me know. In the interest of disclosure, I assume dive rite has replacement bladders, so even if you couldn't patch it (1/2cm is less than 1/4") it should be fixable.

Hi Dive&Ski and Mattboy,

We do sell replacement bladders for the Venture wings. If you are interested in following this path please contact us to figure out which bladder is appropriate for your wing (this will depend on the age of the Venture wing you have). The bladders are MSRP $69 and they can be bought from any of our authorized Dive Rite dealers.

If you need to locate a dealer near you please use our Dealer Locator on our site:
Dry Suit, Regulator, BCD, Dive Lights, Rebreather: Dive Rite Dealers

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to contact us: 386 752 1087

Best,
Ag

Back
Top Bottom