Guess what I saw today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Played hookie today, and went on a spearfishing trip with Gulf Coast Divers in Mobile. There were three divers on a three tank trip, but one of the divers only dove twice. We came back with 3 really nice red snapper, and one "legal, but nothing to brag about" red snapper. We also brought in two very nice black snapper, a grouper, and an amberjack. There were fish EVERYWHERE, and I lost a nice red snapper that wiggled off. On the third dive, I just took my camera. The answer to the question I asked in the title: YouTube - SCUBA Diving with Gulf Coast Divers

All three places we dropped, we had 80ish temps at the top, skum, and thermocline haze until about 25 feet. Viz opened to 50+ until the very bottom. The bottom 8-10 feet was silted and skumed down to around 8-10 feet, and a 70-71 degree temp. Deepest dive on my comp was 103, and again, LOTS OF FISH. Most were not shootable, but it was still nice to see that the gulf was filling up.

Special thanks to Gulf Coast Divers, who put us on some wonderful spots, and helped us bring home the bacon.

-h

snapsnap.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm blackened, fried or broiled?

Good pic---but have news for you, the Gulf never empties when it comes to snapper, the big sow ones move closer in in 'cooler' water......Isn't the Gulf fun........

Hetland- what kind of camera were you using? That's some great video.

Hetland- what kind of camera were you using? That's some great video.

Bah! it turns everything green when using the video. I have to figure out how/if I can adjust the white balance.

It's a Canon Powershot 570is with a Canon housing. That was roughly 2gb worth of video, but I just upgraded to a larger card. With it I can supposedly record 95 minutes of video at 60fps for one minute at a time. The camera then burps, and I have another minute to record. Not bad for $140 + housing cost + weight cost (to keep it almost netural). I need to spend $600 on a decent strobe for the stills, but I'm thinking about rigging a l.e.d. to an arm/tray to use for low budget night shots. Amazon is a good place to pick up a set of basic gear. Unless you want to spend big money, stick with the 570is. It's hackable so you can shoot in raw, and with a Canon housing, it will take inon add-on lenses. See the photography board for volumes of info on the series.

-h

ps: thanks for the compliment!

Bah! it turns everything green when using the video. I have to figure out how/if I can adjust the white balance.

LOL!! Well you have to take into account that my "Underwater Photography Experience" (if you can even call it that) is limited to waterproof kodak and fuji disposable one time use cameras. :shakehead: I had been looking at getting a camera but im not sure about it right now.

What was the name of the site you took the video on?

Back
Top Bottom