Creating a scuba shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've love Ma. There is nothing quite like a New England summer, or fall. That being said if you (really me) had time & money to invest in a summer, or fall scuba shack where would you buy property?

Of course, Rockport & Gloucester seem the best with accessibility to 'calmer' waters, plus a short drive brings you to NH and Maine. The Cape has access to terrific sandy beaches, and WHOI/Woods Hole. WHOI / SEA being terrific places for budding marine biologists to hang out. That being said, The diving on the Cape, plus Nantucket & Martha's isn't the best for depth, or variety...unless you charter out to the Doria! However, there is nothing like swimming in the grass beds and watching pipefish and little hermit crabs scuttling about.

Opinions? ThanX in advance.

X

Okay, so I'm not the only one that things the colorful lush bottom growth we have is special and that there are lots of interesting critters around here. I have often wondered if a dive resorts of sorts could be made to work up here along the Maine coast.

Granted we don't have warm water, lots of colorful fish magnificent visibility. I've seen that stuff and hope to enjoy it again but it did nothing to diminish my love of my local waters.

The Schoodic Peninsula section of Acadia National Park has a wonderful road that winds along the shoreline and almost every turnout is a diveable location. I call it our Bonaire of the north.

Pete

Very interesting guys. The idea of owning an island is intriguing. Sorta like Gilligan wearing a Gorton's hat. :D I did peruse the net and they're (islands) are quite reasonable, but really underdeveloped and requires visitors to have a boat, and the owner a dock. Creating an all-weather dock is not cheap. That being said, how many months are diveable in Bonaire of the NE?

That being said I guess if I were going to create an outpost for divers (just a hangout with an air compressor (free air), a garage "full-o-nautical" stuff where would you put it?

Cape Cod, or Cape Ann? Of course, the fried clams are the best in the Essex area!

X

That being said, how many months are diveable in Bonaire of the NE?

According tho these folks, all of them.

For those not wanting to deal with the harshness of wintertime topside conditions May through October is probably a more realistic expectation. The other great thing is the diversity of things to do. We have a group heading up in July with a blend of diving, hiking and biking.

Pete

What is "scuba shack"? A summer house for your own use, or a dive shop?

Well I definately have a favorite town in MA. It's a small town ... a rather historic area near the coast. I'd love to tell you all, but I kinda don't want the secret to get out. My absolute favorite place on the east coast. Quite close to where "Lizzy Borden took an axe ..."
Anybody know where McCrays is (was)?

Are you familiar with the restaurant at the LAX? No one said the shack had to be topside. I mean, if you can buy an island. . . .then build a real dive shack. The cabana in the middle of the alcove could be the sundeck. Bad weather? close the hatch.
Ok, maybe I've watched too many sci-fi movies.:D

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess in my head Dive Shack is property in Gloucester, or Cape Cod with a compressor station that gave "dive members"* free air and a place to view fish in tanks and hang out. A darkened basement / grotto with dive memorabilia, fish netting and cans of beer would be great. Of course, my wife thinks this is a silly idea, but at the same time I am tired of toting a briefcase full of documents and giving "important" presentations. Heck, back to the basics.

I'm happy to entertain feasibility of dive areas in both MA areas, design aesthetics of a "dive shack", or the absurdities of owning an island. Hey why not? I could go ape _hit on an island and no one would give a dingleberry. :D

So what sey yeh maties...Gloucester/Rockport, or better grotto camaraderie on the Cape of Cods?

X

* anybody that feels like it and brings in pizza & beer every so often

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom