Southern Lombok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

On my last dive trips to indonesia (May 2005), I thought about diving in Southern Lombok (big stuff?), but the sea was too rough. Some people told me that the diving there was too dangerous (places like Magnet, Cathedral etc.).

How bad is it really? I like drifts, but not fast negative entries. Is it worth the trip for big stuff?
What is the best time of the year to avoid rough seas?
Cheers,
Liberty

Hi, I know south Lombok has a reputation for rough diving, but that's not entirly true. I've been living here now for 5 years, and diving in the south for 3 and still all is well.

Belongas Bay, being famous for it’s dive sites “The Magnet“ and “The Cathedral“, offers world class dive sites with pristine reefs and an abundance of marine life. There is plentiful macro life, and an abundance of big fish, as to be found nowhere else around Lombok. Mackerel, Tuna, Barracuda, Napoleon, White- and Black tip reef sharks, Sea snakes, Eagle rays and not to forget the possibility of schooling hammerhead sharks at “The Magnet”. The highest possibility for the hammerhead sightings are from June until October. During this time of year there is a realistic 30% - 40% chance of an encounter.

June, July, and August the sea is at it's roughest due to the onlandish wind, and the currents can be quite strong. All in all, very challenging dive conditions, but definitely worthwhile.

This being said, it's also very worthwile diving from mid April till the beginning of June, as well as mid September until end Oktober. During these times the conditions are much milder and more managble, and during these times it's also possible for less experienced divers to enjoy Belongas Bay.

For some first hand impressions, have a look at; http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/247302-belongas-bay-south-lombok-24-28-july-2008-a.html

Cheers, and happy diving!

Magnet was simply unbelieveable in many ways. From high swells and strong multi-directional surge, to sharks, countless devil rays, huge stingrays, pygmy seahorse, ghost pipefish, various nudibranx.

To me, Magnet was exremely challenging, try it to believe it. To some of my friends, Magnet was simply beyond them eventhough they have at least 100 dives under their belt.

Diving there, good control, coordination and experience definitely a must. Pay good attention to the dive briefing on the proper ways to dive Magnet, entry and exit, and how you should react to the blazing surge, you'll get to enjoy the diving there and minimize all possible risks.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom