What do you wear on your harness and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I am just trying to figure out what a good configuration for my harness is. I LOVE the way it feels in the water and how it feels locked to my body but in terms of accessorizing it.... I am confused.

What I really want (in order of importance) is:
* a pair of dive shears
* Quick Ditch weights (~10 lbs - 5 lbs per pouch)
* Pocket(s) for storing treasure, goodies, and anything else I might want... such a fold up snorkel.

I didn't include lights because I won't be needing a big canister light or anything, probably just a couple small hand-helds. I can probably mount those to my shoulder D-rings.

So I guess I was wondering how you guys have your harness set up, and any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
Sam

For quick ditch weights the XS Scuba ones are great:

XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

For pockets get a pair of X-shorts or glue pockets to your wetsuit/drysuit.

Hope this helps.

J.

Yep, I use pockets on my wetsuit and drysuit to store spools, cookies/arrows, wetnotes, backup mask, etc, etc. I don't use ditchable weight in any configuration. The only things I wear on my harness are:

1) back-up lights (connected to the shoulder d-rings w/ bolt snaps, secured to the harness with strips of inner tube)
2) can light (if applicable)
3) extra double-ender on my right d-ring to hand the light head during a dive
4) knife on the waist
5) z-knife, mounted upside down on top of the right shoulder d-ring. It's a tiny one, so you don't really notice it but you can reach it in a jam, especially in a tight spot where you can't reach your waist.
5) If the dive calls for it, I'll mount lift bags on the bottom of the bp
6) I'll use the butt d-ring to hold miscellaneous items, like spools and jump/gap reels.

For shears look at golem gear - 6 inches long including cordura sheath and will rubber band (with inner tube sections) to your harness shoulder strap in a position that can be reached with either hand. Mine is on right shoulder strap below d-ring. I use OMS lights that fit on the hand with a goodman strap but are battery operated (2 3v batteries). Buy the batteries in bulk - they are much cheaper. Burn time around 31/2 hours and will light up a cavern. These light are small and very light.

1) back-up lights (connected to the shoulder d-rings w/ bolt snaps, secured to the harness with strips of inner tube)
2) can light (if applicable)
4) knife on the waist
5) z-knife, mounted upside down on top of the right shoulder d-ring. It's a tiny one, so you don't really notice it but you can reach it in a jam, especially in a tight spot where you can't reach your waist.
6) I'll use the butt d-ring to hold miscellaneous items, like spools and jump/gap reels.

Similar here. Here's how I do mine:

1) back-up lights (connected to the shoulder d-rings w/ bolt snaps, secured to the harness with strips of inner tube)-Same here
2) can light (if applicable)-I always wear my canister on my right waist. Before I was using can light, I had a pocket (bag) where I use to store my stuffs. But those things are now in the pockets on my shorts.
3) extra double-ender on my right d-ring to hand the light head during a dive-too
4) knife on the waist-same here

As for other stuffs (eg. spools, SMB, wetnotes, safety whistle, folded snorkel, backup spools and SMB....................), they go into the pockets on the so-call X-shorts.

Yep, I use pockets on my wetsuit and drysuit to store spools, cookies/arrows, wetnotes, backup mask, etc, etc.
Ditto. If you go pockets oin your wetsuit, you may want to consider having them professionally attached, with adhesive AND stitching. Several drysuit repair firms (e.g. Superior) will do that, and the job lasts longer.
I don't use ditchable weight in any configuration.
Ditto
I wear one on my right side, as described, and put a second, smaller back up in my left (bellows) pocket.
battles2a5:
2) can light (if applicable).
Attached, inverted, to the bottom right of my BP.
I mounted a bolt snap to the head, instead.
4) knife on the waist.
I wear shears on my right waist, and keep a small Buck knife as a back-up in the left bellows pocket,
Ditto

I mounted a bolt snap to the head, instead.

I do that as well. When the light is off, I'll use the bolt snap on the light head and tuck the cord into my waist strap. If the light is on, I have a loop of bungee on the light gland that I will use to snap on the extra double-ender. This way, the light points down while you are doing whatever, without blinding your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom