Seaquest Latitude BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prskate2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does this BC have any thing that you would make your not recommend it? Some say it doesn't have a rear dump valve and a few other things... Overall, do you think it is a (well I don't really want to say good but...) good BC. Any complaints?

The Seaquest Latitude is a good entry level BCD. It comes in a couple of colors including red (highlights) which a lot of people seem to like. I am more of blue and grey person myself.

Before getting into the Pro's and Cons, here are a couple of questions:
1. Are you buying the XLT NModel?
2. The shop where you are buying it, do they have your size and did you try it on?
3. Have you had the opportunity to try it out in the pool? Rental?
4. Have you ever "really" tried a back inflate?

My mantra, like many others on Scubaboard, is buy once and buy right. Depending on how much you dive and how serious you are, you may want to look at some higher end BCD's like the Balance or Pro QD by Seaquest. Most folks who dive often migrate to a back inflate BCD.

What I like about the Latitude:
1. Good Value for the price for an entry level diver who isn't afraid to upgrade later on.
2. If you are buying the XLT, I like the sure lock weight system.
3. The Octo Pocket is a nice gadget, although if you buy the BCD with the Airsource 2 or 3, you don't need the pocket.
4. Most people find the Latitude XLT a comfortable fit.
5. Trim weights on back of BCD.
6. A lot of people like the big pockets. Not a pro or con in my book.

What I don't like about the Latitude:
1. If you are not buying the XLT, you will end up with Velcro Pockets. I hate integrated Velcro Pockets. Over time, they wear out and do not provide a good attachment. If you are shore diving and sand gets in the velcro, you can say good bye to that pocket.
2. Cumberbund is not integrated.
3. It is a jacket style. Admittedly, I dive a Backplate and Wing, so I prefer a Back Inflate when wearing a BCD. In fact, when I teach, I am usually in a Balance. I find Jacket Style BCDs to be constricting and uncomfortable. I used a jacket style for over 10 years. It took me a couple of dives to get used to the buoyancy characteristics, but once I did, it was heaven in the water.
4. Side straps are straight and do not swivel. Does not allow BCD to contour to your body shape. If you are a bigger person, this becomes important.
5. Plastic D Rings. Useless except for the smallest of items.
6. No shoulder dump. (it does have a lower pull dump for head first descents).
7. Chest strap (if you use it) rides a bit high on the chest on me.
8. Not available in blue, although Black and Silver is decent looking.
9. On some soft weights, it is difficult to fit two five pound weights in the integrated weight pockets. When using a BCD, I usually use soft weights.

Hope this helps.

jcf

PS - Not a big fan of the i3

As scubajcf noted, get the XLT models. Actually in our current market, the XLTs are suppose to be the current model. But some shops which still carry the old stocks might be making clearance deals for the previous model. XLT is a much improved model.

WOW... Thanks scubajcf. I am looking into buying the BC used on this forum. The owners says it has been used 10 times. I am pretty sure it is not the XLT model. I am getting it for my father so he will not be able to try it on. He is normally a medium in BC's so I am guessing this should work without trying. Although, I always like to try before. My father and I have not tried a back inflate before. We do dive pretty often though. Probably about every weekend. Mostly boat diving. But a lot of beach diving too. I also have a BC with velcro integrated weight pockets. But I have used it for about 3 months. It is fine so far. Hope this helps. I can get this BC for $125 shipped? That is pretty good in my book.

The price is a hundred dollars cheaper than Leisure Pro - Who appears to be clearing out the older model (non-XLT) for $224. It sounds like a good price, if it is in good shape. If it is the right size and it has the right fit.

I am not a big fan of buying used gear or gear that I personally haven't held in my hands and tried on (when appropriate). In the best of all worlds, I get to try it out, even if it is just a similar model. However, that is a personal preference. And since this is Scubaboard, I am sure many people will give you differing opinions about buying used gear.

Personally, The velcro pockets would be an issue with me. But it's your money. Good luck and safe diving. Glad I could help.

Caveat emptor [(kav-ee-aht, kah-vee-aht emp-tawr)]
Latin for “Let the buyer beware.” It means that a customer should be cautious and alert to the possibility of being cheated: “Caveat emptor is the first rule of buying a used car.”
Or a BCD as the case may be.

JcF

Well, thanks very much. My pockets in my BC are velcro and then slide into a pouch that closes with a weird latch thing. (That all scuba companies call their own invention) That is the same on this BC to right? Or is it completely velcro?

What type of BC do you use?

The Latitude you are looking at has a pocket that goes into a slot. On the outside of the pocket you have a small plastic handle for grabbing. The entire securing mechanism is a piece of high grade velcro. There is no latch. If what you are buying is the older style Latitude. I do not believe SeaQuest is manufacturing that style. I think they are only manufacturing the XLT model now. The XLT has the Sure Lock Mechanism.

You can see the difference in pockets here. Hit the zoom image.
Seaquest Latitude XLT BC from LeisurePro.com

Seaquest Latitude BCD from LeisurePro.com

The first link is the Sure Lock mechanism. You actually here a click. The second is a straight foldover and velcro together.

I would have them email you a picture of the BCD that you are buying. Front, sides and back.

jcf

Yes, I am going to have them send me a pic. I guess I could always get new velcro. Right?

Thanks for all your help.

As for the BC I use, I use a Tusa Liberator Sigma. But the BC I am buying is not for me. It's for my father. But I do love my Tusa.

I believe the TUSA Liberator has a "snap type locking mechanism". I think they call it an advanced buckle type integrated weight system. Which means it is more than a Velcro seal.

Listen, I am not beating up on Velcro here. Just not my favorite for securing 10 pounds of dead weight underwater.

As for replacing the Velcro: I don't recommend making modifications to Dive Equipment unless you are smarter than the engineer who designed it. If it came down to that, I would replace the BCD.

But, to answer your question. It sounds like the BCD you are buying for your dad does not have a locking mechanism for the weights.

It's $100 less than the deal on Leisurepro. Which would make it a good deal ....

If it is in good shape and it fits.

I think for the money and as much as you say you dive, you may want to explore some other options.

jcf

BTW - 10 hard dives (dragged over sand at the beach), stored incorrectly, not maintained is worse than 100 dives with proper care and maintenance. Abuse to a BCD is not always visible in pictures. Sorry. Not trying to burst your bubble.

I own two of the "original" Latitude BCs. Bought one, used it, liked it, bought another. This after years of using a separate weight belt.

I have had no problems diving in the Atlantic Ocean off South Florida. I find no issues with the velcro, and they are easy to install and remove. The two weight pockets high up in the back (10lbs total) allow me to feel better balanced under water and I hold my safety stop much easier. I can hang horizontal in the water.

I cannot wait to use one in Lake Michigan this summer.

And, yes, they came from LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom