Punta Cana that depressing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukdiver

Reaction score
Can anyone who has been to Punta Cana cheer me up? All the reviews I have read said it is the pits. My wife and I are going in April and after reading most of the threads I am thinking of cancelling the trip. The most important question I have is do you feel safe when walking around?
Hope someone can help, Thanks Ukdiver

I can't speak of Punta Cana but my wife stayed for a week in Boca Chica, about 30 miles east of Santo Domingo on a dive trip to Curacao. Stopped there because it is a direct flight from Boston and was inexpensive so figured we would try it.

We have been all over the Carribean and would never go back to the Domincan Republic. Never felt safe. But we were also in a different location than where you are going so best to judge from someone that has been to that area. We did get out into the courtry-side, and it is extremely poor. From what I have heard diving in Punta Cana is so-so. If you are staying in a major resort and not leaving it may be fine. Island may be inexpensive to visit but there are much nicer and safer feeling islands in the Carribean.

On a side note, the cave diving was awesome, reef diving blah but we have done Caymans and Bonaire so hard to compare.

Kev

Well, the diving off Punta Cana most certainly is the pits. Set your expectations very low.

There are some nice all-inclusive resorts (you didn't stay where your staying) in that area, but most folks don't care to wander too far.

Nice beaches & good sun, however, and some decent values.

As long as you're not going for scuba, I suspect that you'll enjoy yourself. Play some golf.

Cheers.

DocVikingo

dominican republic is a very different place. we went last june. took our whole family. its not the caymans or cozumel or bonaire thats for sure. we flew into punta cana and drove the 1 hour drive over to the La Romano area. that is where the diving was suppose to be better. we stayed at the viva dominicus beach resort. (all inclusive). the dive operation was pretty good (if you could understand them-which we couldnt) the hotel was nice. the beach and the ocean beautiful. underwater-yuk! the best dive was the wreck dive, I think it was called the st. george. the food was weird, you never knew what you were eating. the staff was very friendly, but the rest of the guests, well I really dont have much to say about them, we couldnt understand them! out of about 200 hundred and something people, I think there was only maybe about 30 amercians. and that included us 8! so if you want to be by yourself on a beautiful beach, you will be fine!on the way home everyone on our plane stayed in punta cana, they all loved it. (it was a charter out of st. louis) they said it was very touristy though. and most of them did not leave their resort. and none of them dived! the water was too rough.

I went to Punta Cana in Oct 2002. We had a great time. We stayed at the Occidental Grand Flamenco. The food was great accomadations listed as 5 star would be in my opinion a 3-4 but every thing on the resort was exceptionaly clean and every one was very friendly. If you are taking any excursions other than scuba a can suggest going with the smaller tour opperators unless you want a booze fest. One of our favorite tours was with the Punta Cana runners it had everything the large safari tour had + a private beach, cave tour & a coffe break at a locat dominican home. Our guide was Daniel, he spoke perfect english which was great as our spanish was lacking. Having a personalized tour was great as we could stop when we wanted and have all our ? answered. It also beat having to listen to all the in structions in French/dutch/german/spanish & then english every time they need to tell you something. The other tour I would highly recommend is the Sanona Cattamaran day trip. The only thing I advise against is the deep sea fishing the diesel they use is mixed different than ours and can lead to a nasty case of sea sickness (we had a serious case of dueling buckets going on) but hey I did catch a barracuda Big ugly and no fight to it. Over all the diving I did was threw our resort and as it was the introdution that got me hooked i thought it was great. I am looking forward to going back this year in April or October or maybe both???
The main thing is can only get out of your trip what you put into it.
Hope I didn't rattle on to much. Have a great trip.

When we were there We went with 4 females & had no saftey concerns. What can suggest is to bring lotions, toothbrushes, first aid supplies, & $store toys as tips for house keeping as it is expensive for them to buy them and they are greatly appriecated. Also wrapped penny candy for the kids that run out as the tours go buy. We also took Hair elastics and barrets for the girls. But take into account the poverty level & use the safes that are provided. Over all bring your camera & have fun . Don't forget the sun screen its just about $20 a bottle on the resorts.

The post to which you have responded is from early March of last year.

As such, it is very likely that the participants are no longer following it. You might wish to e-mail them directly.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Not only is ukdiver not following this thread, but hasn't been on the boards in 6 months. However, I'm sure the info will help somebody.

DocVikingo:
Well, the diving off Punta Cana most certainly is the pits. Set your expectations very low.

There are some nice all-inclusive resorts (you didn't stay where your staying) in that area, but most folks don't care to wander too far.

Nice beaches & good sun, however, and some decent values.

As long as you're not going for scuba, I suspect that you'll enjoy yourself. Play some golf.

Cheers.

DocVikingo

I will trust your judgement - you were bang on about everything else.

BTW, it is for my sister - me next stop Utila.

Curtis

So, even if this is a deadthread, why would anyone GO to Sto. Domingo? Sounds like bottom of the barrel diving. I could understand if there were something else driving you to the island, but, jeez, it sounds like somewhere, anywhere else would be better.
=Terry

Back
Top Bottom