Travel Wing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The Dive Rite web site states that the new Travel Wing can be used with a backplate. The Dive Rite Express web site states that the Travel Wing can only be used with the Transpac. My old Travel Wing could only be used with a Transpac. Could you clear up the confusion ? Obviously I am looking for a 30lb wing and trying to stick with Dive Rite.

tnx don O

If you look at the new "travel 360" wing now have gromments. I had my dive shop order me one earlier this week. I have been using a rec wing with my transpac but figured I could lower my travel weight a few pounds by getting a Travel Wing.

Attachments

• 360.bmp
    55.8 KB · Views: 95
Yep, used the Travel Wing with my TP for five years, loved it. Just trying to confirm that the "new" one will work with a BP.

tnx

Yep, used the Travel Wing with my TP for five years, loved it. Just trying to confirm that the "new" one will work with a BP.

tnx

Hi Donooo,

Thanks for asking. Yes the new Travel Wing has grommets and therefore can be used with a backplate. It also has additional lift and is now a 40lb wing.

Have a look here for more information and to check out the new look:
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Travel 360 Wing

Best,
Ag

Well that sucks. Guess that if I want a 30lb, warm water wing I am back to DSS or Oxycheq. Seems like you guys are missing a market. Do you have some rational for this?

don O

Don O, I personally doubt that the travel wing actually provides 40 lbs of lift when it's installed on a plate with a tank; it's just not that big. My guess is that DR measures the total lift capacity of the wing based on the inflated capacity when it's uninstalled.

IOW I would not be concerned that this wing is too big for warm water diving.

Well that sucks. Guess that if I want a 30lb, warm water wing I am back to DSS or Oxycheq. Seems like you guys are missing a market. Do you have some rational for this?

don O

Hi Donooo,

The Travel Wing was redeveloped because people were asking for more lift, this has made the wing more versatile. The difference in the actual size of the wing is negligible, it is slightly longer so that it fits well on a backplate and also has added side panels in order to increase the lift capacity.

Otherwise it is still the Travel Wing you know and love and is perfect for single tank diving!

Best,
Ag

I'm a bit surprised as well.

I have the 30lb. Travel Wing (nylon shell version, not elastic). So, fortunately, I believe I got the one I'd have picked given a choice of all three. However, if something happened to this wing, I have no doubt I'd go for a STA, or use a STA-less DSS or Oxy 30lb. wing, with my Transpac.

I find that 30lb. for my steel HP 100 is plenty of lift, even with a slung pony, and it practically disappears when deflated. If you can go eye level neutral at 500psi, even an 18lb. wing should be plenty for singles.

I *do* like the grommets you've added, however. Takes "proprietary" out of the equation.

Hi Donooo,

The Travel Wing was redeveloped because people were asking for more lift,

Otherwise it is still the Travel Wing you know and love and is perfect for single tank diving!

Best,
Ag

Well this still sucks, most of us only have a few ways of evaluating wings. Lift, construction and shape are the first three that come to mind. So leaving construction and shape alone, you now have four single tank wings at over 40lb's of lift and nothing under. There are people out there on Scubaboard that would insist that no one ever needs 40lb's of lift. I do with a dry suit and a ton of lead. I have tried the Rec wing and it sucked as a single tank, warm water wing. So now I will need to shop around for a more normal, smaller, warm water wing to go with my Brand X 40lb wing.

tnx don O

I'm a bit surprised as well.

I have the 30lb. Travel Wing (nylon shell version, not elastic). So, fortunately, I believe I got the one I'd have picked given a choice of all three. However, if something happened to this wing, I have no doubt I'd go for a STA, or use a STA-less DSS or Oxy 30lb. wing, with my Transpac.

I find that 30lb. for my steel HP 100 is plenty of lift, even with a slung pony, and it practically disappears when deflated. If you can go eye level neutral at 500psi, even an 18lb. wing should be plenty for singles.

I *do* like the grommets you've added, however. Takes "proprietary" out of the equation.

I have to agree with this diver. What is Dive Rite thinking? Y'all have always been thought of as the experienced/tech diver's gear supplier. Now all wings are 40lb plus, even single wings!!! Bad marketing decision. I have been a longtime DR fan. I enjoy my 30lb DR wing, but I will not supersize up to a 40lb wing. Heck, I was hoping y'all would come out with a lower lift wing. Sure we need high lift wings for doubles, but you are going to lose the single tank market with this approach (except for the new divers who haven't learned that you don't need 20+ pounds of weight to sink a wetsuit in fresh water - or is this the market you are after?). I dive a 7mm wetsuit with hooded vest locally with my 30lb wing and SS DR backplate (no other weighting). I've been strongly considering going with the AL backplate as I am overweighted with the SS backplate. Why would I ever think of going to a higher lift wing??? It pains me to say this as I have been a longtime DR fan, but I guess I'll have to look to DSS or Oxycheq if other DR options are not made available. Please consider offering lower lift/more compact offerings for the more experienced diver.

Back
Top Bottom