Spots open for Sunday afternoon June 15 scallop dives with Fran Marcoux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Scalloping has been very productive lately on Fran's boat, as I can attest! :D

I just talked with Fran and there are some spots still open on his double scallop dive charter this Sunday afternoon, June 15th leaving the dock at 1pm (Cape Ann Marina, Gloucester, MA).

Give him a call at (508) 873-8339 or (508) 335-6339, if you're interested. He's great about providing all the info you might want.

Feel free to ask me about particulars here or by PM, if you prefer. :)

(Please note: I am just a happy customer and not affiliated with Fran in any other way. Plus, I love scallops and conditions are good for a successful hunt right now!) :D

Dave C

Dave Do you know if you have to have a license to do the scallop dive? Also how much for the boat ride.
thanks

Dave Do you know if you have to have a license to do the scallop dive? Also how much for the boat ride.
thanks

No license needed for sea scallops. But there is a daily limit of one gallon of shucked meats per person. If they are still in the shell, the limit is measured by buschels or pecks or some other equally confusing unit of measurement. If you get a gallon of meats, you've been bagging up nicely.

LobstaMan

thanks

Sorry to take so long to respond! Conked out early last night....

People must be busy, as only two people are signed up so far for Sunday PM, including myself. I've put the word out to a couple of friends, but it doesn't look like they can make it on that day.

Fran may have to cancel if he doesn't get a few more. Not sure if he'll go with a minimum of four or if he needs to have the full six.

If anyone is interested, this morning (Saturday) would probably be the decision point, as Fran just emailed me that he may need to cancel and offer today's 4pm trip instead.

The 2-dive charter is $75, but pre-payment is not required, just pay on the boat. Once you've told Fran you're committed to the charter you would be responsible for paying for your spot, unless he can fill the spot for you.

No license needed for sea scallops. But there is a daily limit of one gallon of shucked meats per person. If they are still in the shell, the limit is measured by buschels or pecks or some other equally confusing unit of measurement. If you get a gallon of meats, you've been bagging up nicely.

LobstaMan

As LobstaMan said, no license is needed for scallops.

Fran will point the divers in a good direction for the beds, but, as with most hunts, it's not a sure thing to bag a huge load, but everyone got some on the last outing.

Fran and his mate shuck the scallops for the divers and they have Ziplocks bags, etc. and the meat goes right on ice in Fran's cooler.

And LobstaMan is right, the limit is one gallon of meat per person per day.

That's about 10 pounds of meat. I was very happy with the 9 pounds of meat I harvested on my last trip! :D

I rinse mine well on the boat, then again when I get home. Then I package 8-oz amounts in smaller reclosable bags with most of the air removed before freezing them. I find they taste better than store-bought and they keep for many months! I've eaten them a year later and they taste just as good as fresh, in my opinion. Rolling the air out of the bag is helpful, I think.

I recently ate some of my scallops broiled with a coating of butter and Italian seasoning and a little grated Romano.... ummm! :D

Let Fran know early this morning, if possible, about Sunday PM.

His numbers are in my first post.

It's important to note that one should bring their own buddy, if they need one, as most of the experienced hunters hunt solo....

If you have more questions, let me know or PM me for my phone number. I'll be glad to help. I'm really hoping this Sunday PM charter can still happen, as it's a convenient time of day for me to drive the 120 miles to the dock! I much prefer getting up at 9am than 4am! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Just talked with Capt Fran and he's planning to run the 1pm scallop charter tomorrow even though just two of us committed so far. He had quite a few calls and emails, but surprisingly only two takers.

So, the charter is definite, weather permitting, but the forecast looks okay right now.

I made it clear that I don't mind rescheduling and that he didn't have to run unprofitably on my account, but he wants to "do the right thing" by the customer. Quite a guy!

Anyway, there's still time to give him a call before departure at 1pm tomorrow (Sunday, the 15th), since the charter is definite.

Please, just remember, he has to sleep sometime.... :wink:

His numbers:

(508) 873-8339

or

(508) 335-6339

Although it's nice to have only two on the boat, I'll still encourage more to join us.... Great scalloping conditions shouldn't be missed! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
How did the dive go?

I would be interested in joining on another scallop charter. Do you know if he is planning on going out this weekend?

I guess I should give him a ring

How did the dive go?

I would be interested in joining on another scallop charter. Do you know if he is planning on going out this weekend?

I guess I should give him a ring

I don't know what he's scheduled this coming weekend, but lately, he's been plugging in scallop charters when conditions are right.

If you get on his email list you'll get the updates a few days in advance.

Dive report? I thought you'd never ask.... :D

Here's my dive report:

Dive Report: Scallop dives on Sunday afternoon, June 15th, with Fran Marcoux.

Quite a nice treat to have a 31' boat with only two divers! Thanks to Fran's generosity and courtesy! He doesn't usually run with less than four divers.

Usually, his scallop dive charters fill right up quick, but people must have been busy Sunday. He got lots of emails and phone calls, but only the two of us could fit it in apparently.

Lucky us!

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Fran, he put us right on top of good scallop beds again!

I'll make the dive report as brief as I can manage, which likely won't be very brief, so I'll include some pics to make it semi-interesting.... :wink:

Dive report:

Sunday afternoon, June 15th, was overcast and occasionally drizzly, but the cool air temps were nice for suiting up. Mild east wind was pushing 1 to 2 footers, but they laid down after a while. Not bad at all.

The other lucky diver was a gal who obviously had plenty of experience scalloping and it turned out we had friends in common and lots to talk about!

First dive began around 2pm off Satan Rock in 75fsw.

Water temp was 45F at the bottom, 50 near the surface. A nice improvement over the 40F water temp of two weeks ago!

Fran told us a couple of his divers recently bumped into some good beds at the end of their dives when low air made them quit. Fran dropped us right on the same spot using GPS coordinates. That makes one hopeful, but getting into a bunch of scallops is never a sure thing.... :)

As I descended rapidly head-first, the gravel bottom soon came into view in the 30' vis.... so did several large scallops! A wonderful start! The bed was so good, I didn't go more than five feet before seeing more groups of scallops. I probably didn't travel more than 100 feet as I worked my way back and forth generally along the planned direction. There was no current either, so I could really work the area using a tether line.

Picking up scallops kept me busy for 32 minutes until I decided I really should think seriously about heading up. My hp120 main tank was down to 400 psi and my bag was 3/4 full. That's plenty even though it hurts to leave the bottom with scallops still in view.... :( Thought about using my al30 pony, but decided to save it for the next dive. Took a safety stop and surfaced at 36 minutes.

During an hour and twenty minute surface interval we shucked scallops with the help of Fran's son, Matt, his First Mate. Then we all relaxed and talke while having some fresh fruit and cookies provided by Fran.

The second dive began around 4pm by Eagle Rock, the drop point again determined by recent reports of beds. Although this was right around dead low tide, there was a very slight northerly current at the surface and at the bottom at 37'. Unfortunately, it was right in my face and enough to make my headway too slow and air-consuming to seem worthwhile, especially since I'd only come across a few small scallops in the first ten minutes on the rocky kelp and gravel mixed bottom. Vis was about 10-20'.

The drag of a tuna ball can definitely be a disadvantage, but I find it truly a necessity if one wants to move a big bag of scallops.

I turned to go with the mild current and the bottom became more sandy, rather than the preferred gravel. Scallops were few and far between and I thought I might be in for a low harvest. After 25 minutes and gradually increasing depths to 50', the bottom became more gravelly and I got into sporadic beds of scallops which were productive enough to yield a 3/4 bag over the next 30 minutes. Max depth 55', total dive time 68 minutes. Water temp was 50 degrees throughout. Very pleasant for scalloping in a drysuit.

Something I'm doing more often lately, on both dives I attached and partially filled my lift bag to off-set the weight of the large catch bag when it got about half-full. That makes it easier to make depth adjustments to the catch bag because most of the weight is off the line handle.

I'm also finding it preferable to set the lift bag up early rather than late when time and air might be running low. :wink:

I know one thing, the First Mate appreciated having that lift bag do the work of hauling! :D

I've included pics of the lift bag in case someone's interested.

With both divers and their catch picked up, we headed in for the pleasant one-hour ride to Gloucester. On the way, we shucked scallops, put away gear and relaxed with many pounds of scallops in the cooler!

Another great day! Pics follow.

Dave C

The 31' Daybreaker is a great 6-pack boat!
P6150002_ACt_R900.jpg

Eagle Rock bottom was a mix of rocky kelp, gravel and sand depending on location.
P6150018_CCR_Flt_R900.jpg

100-lb lift bag deployed to take most of the weight of the bag. Makes it easier to wrap or unwrap line when adjusting the distance of the catch bag from the bottom. It also saves one's back later when hauling up the bag.
P6150023_CCR_Flt_R900.jpg

Closer view of attachment of lift bag to main catch bag. Handle for line to tuna ball/flag is obscured by lift bag in this shot. Spare bag is ready if the motherlode is found! :D Small attached line is 20' tether.
P6150022_CCR_Flt_R900.jpg

Fran at the upper helm bringing the boat over to pick up the diver.
P6150025_ACt_R900.jpg

Fran's middle son and First Mate, Matt, was always cheerful and helpful. He's preparing to help shuck some scallops.
P6150007_ACt_R900_ACt_R900.jpg

Last edited:
Great report. Does Fran have a website/email? If not, i'll just give him a ring.

Great report. Does Fran have a website/email? If not, i'll just give him a ring.

He has email, but always carries the phone, which is best since he doesn't monitor email from the boat. :D

Try the first number I listed and you'll get right through or leave a message and he'll call back shortly.

Dave C

Try the first number I listed and you'll get right through or leave a message and he'll call back shortly.

He's definitely very good about responding if you leave him a message by either phone or email. I've always gotten a response from him the same day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom