LDS in Montreal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning on doing my OW with Total Diving this summer, so I'm curious if anybody's gone there for gear or courses and had any comments. I've done a Discover Scuba with them and it seemed pretty good, though i kinda wonder how they work it with 12 people in that fairly small pool of theirs.

Also, how's the diving in Lac St-Francois, in terms of viz, water temp and stuff to look at? Check out dives are done there (probably in late august for me) and it would be nice to know if there's going to be something worth looking at when I'm not demonstrating skills. I know there's a couple of wrecks there, but what else?

Thanks for any input.

Hi oreocookie !

I got certified with Total Diving 2 years ago and my instructor was very good ... Michel is is name.

Since, I don't have nothing to do with Total Diving because I personally think that customer service is not so great there !!!!

As for the number of students in the pool, 2 of my friends and I took a private course ... so there was only 3 of us in the pool !!!

Regarding your OW certification in St-François, if they still dive at the same site, you'll be going down to a sunken barge at about 10-15 meters and won't have time to swim around on your own ... the instructor asks you to hold on to the barge and wait while other studdents perform their skills until it is your turn !!!

Viz is poor, roughly 15 meters and water is way too cold for me, even in a 12mm wet !!

But that's a good thing, cold water diver are recognized as good divers around the globe !

Have fun and enjoy your new hobby !!

Thanks for the response. It seems my choices for an OW class are somewhat limited as I've only found 2 lds's near here that offer OW classes in English (while I have nothing against taking a class in French, I think I'm like most people in prefering to take a class in my main language if I can) and only this one has a 6 week course, which I wanted.

I did look into Action Scuba, and to be honest, I was somewhat more impressed with them except for the fact that they don't seem to offer multi-week courses which is something that both my future buddy and I are looking for.

I appreciate the instructor recommendation and will probably look into him as an option as well.

:14: OK !!!

Action scuba is my LDS ... Excellent instructors and AWESOME customer service.

The instructor will be very accommodating. He does all his course through his home in his pool and then certification in Brockville. Much better than doing your OW cert in Lake water.

I personally do not like the other LDS mentioned - Total - They are what I call cattle run operation. get in - get out next.

Action Scuba...they are great and the instructor I mentioned is a really good one.

PM if you have questions

Stephen

Hve you looked at Action Scuba?
Action Scuba

or if you want, I can recommend a personal Instructor. He may be running an OW course soon
dan@ddscubadiving.com

drop either one a line.

Stephen

Thanks for the rec. Total is what came up first on google but I think I'll give AS a try instead, if I can slot it in before they shut down for the fall.

Btw, has anyone dived in September? what are the water temps like? I'm skinny. :11doh:

Hey guys!

As a avid diver in Lac St-Francois and the St-Laurent river,
the conditions are split between summer and fall.

In summer, water can go up to the mid 70s but vis can
fall to 15 feet.

As school starts, the vis can go up to 30-40 feet but the temperature
will drop to the mid to low 60s. October will yeild 50s but vis is great and the
waters are very calm.

Also, I would actually stay away from Total Diving.
They have a very bad reputation and are now having
problems finding instructors...

In English, I would go with Action Scuba. If you watch for deals,
you can get good equipment for not too much money...

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom