'Big stuff' in Sharm - July 21st?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueReef

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all, ok I've browsed 6 pages, but havn't found anything for July, and as my connecton is so poor I thought I'd just ask now.

I'm arriving in Sharm on the 21st July for one week, and really really want to see 'big stuff' :) Please tell me I have a good chance of this. I went there before end of August - Sept, but unfortunately all the big creatures had already left the area :( and the dive company said a month earlier is better. Even so, I just want to ask you guys. Thanks!!

btw - I'd really like to see plenty of mantas, and hammerheads!
(Also turtles and of course a sneeky whale shark :wink:)

You probably know this already, but I will post it anyway: The best divesites to see sharks are suppose to be: Jackson, Gordon, Thomas & Woodhouse Reef in the straits of Tiran... So if you are into sharks these are the places you'd go.

I saw 2 turtles in Rash Mohammed the other day, at Jackfish Alley... they are sooo coool!
I dont know about how July differs from other months, sorry.. but the books says summermonths are the best, so I guess youre spot on

Hi,

Thanks for the input. Actually my knowledge of the Red Sea is pretty bad, however I know the straits of Tiran are where the hammerheads are, but just hoping they'll be there in mid-end July.

I keep hearing summer months are best too, so sounds ok, but I know I missed it by only a few weeks before. I know how creatures can be one place one week and gone the next!

yeah Turtles are my favourite but they're much more common to see than mantas etc so mantas and hammerheads would really be a bonus for me!

Hi,

Thanks for the input. Actually my knowledge of the Red Sea is pretty bad, however I know the straits of Tiran are where the hammerheads are, but just hoping they'll be there in mid-end July.

I keep hearing summer months are best too, so sounds ok, but I know I missed it by only a few weeks before. I know how creatures can be one place one week and gone the next!

yeah Turtles are my favourite but they're much more common to see than mantas etc so mantas and hammerheads would really be a bonus for me!

More than knowing the best sites to sharks and all that stuff- you'll need some luck- Plenty of it actually to see a manta or whale shark. Singular Whale sharks do pass occasionally in the area once every other year or so (they go all the way up to Eilat and Aqaba, then realize they made a mistake and took the wrong turn at Bab El Mandab so they turn around and go back all the way :wink: ), but you have to be really really lucky to see one.

Something like 20 years ago, it was possible to see 1-2 mantas during a few days diving in sites like the "Tower" and Ras Um Sid (or even in places like Umbarak's Sharks bay- where as far as I know no sharks have been seen for decades...). So they were not common sight, but not very rare neither.
Nowadays I haven't heard of anyone reporting on seeing mantas in Sharm El Sheikh or in most safaris in the vicinity.

Small groups of Hammerheads can be seen in Tiran but you'll need luck and spend the dive in the blue looking for them- not near the reef. However, since most divers come for just a few days, having only so few days to do in Tiran that they prefer not to risk "wasting" a whole dive looking for shy hammerheads that will let you see them from a respectable distance, ending in doing the "regular" dives on the rather splendid walls.

Starting early, you may have some chance to see a black tip reef shark resting on some sandy shelves before being disturbed by the first morning encounter with divers- forget about him for the rest of the day...

Just don't hold your breath with dreams of seeing plenty of hammerhead sharks, mantas and other "big friends"- you'll have good chances of disappointment.

Turtles are more common sights.

Hope you get all the bonuses- and even more! Yep, there are rumors (or is it wishful thinking?) on a few dugongs living in some hidden bay in Tiran island and also north of Nabeq, and you have good chances of dolphin encounters when returning from Tiran in the evenings, and so on.. Have Luck!

Hi BlueReef, we'll be going to Sharm in July as well (19-26th) and it wil be our first time. Mate of mine at work used to be an Dive Master in Sharm and he says the same as Jai Bar. If you're lucky you see big stuff, otherwise you can waste a whole dive out in the blue and see nothing...

I hope we'll be lucky! Which dive operator wil you be diving with? We're still deciding which one to go with.

I saw a beatiful eagle ray at Middle Garden.. a local site.. it was really really good. It crossed our path and the viz was 20+ so we saw him for at least 2 minutes...and the day before someone saw a whalseshark at the Tower, and a bunch of mantas at Ras Umm sid... so you never know!

wow! lol, so much for the Red Sea being one of the best places to dive in the world! ok, I would never 'expect' to see mantas etc and know it does come down to luck, however as long as they are actually in the area when I go it makes me happier to know I'm not completely wasting my time.

Last time I went to sharm, after one dive the guide said "did you see that lionfish?!", I'm like 'er, yeah, why, is that special for here??". I couldn't believe it, I mean ... ONE lionfish!.. in the Red Sea!...damn, when I was diving in Thailand there were probably 50+ of them every dive, plus on some sites we saw 5 different sea snakes, and a fair few leopard sharks etc.

Last night however I was reading blogs of some dives taken last month in Sharm, and they stated seeing a few mantas (even 4 on one dive) and some whalesharks. So just hope they hang around a bit or at least come back when I'm there. Maybe I should buy some offal and bait the water when the captain's not looking haha.

Oh I'm going with Camel by the way, chilled, professional, efficient and nice guys. Oonas look pretty good too, but as for the others I spoke to last time - their heads were so far up their own asses I've avoid them, especially the Red Sea College! Oh the arrogance of them haha - it actually made me laugh right in front of one of the directors (if I get bored I may even go back and have another laugh).

Obviously big stuff can't be guaranteed but the back of Jackson is a well known Hammerhead hangout and you would be unlucky not to see them.
Mantas and whalesharks around at the moment - lots of sightings.
July/August on Shark & Yolanda (Ras Mohammed) you stand an excellent chance of shark - usually with the big school of baracuda.
Comment about lionfish - groups, particularly on local dives, are mixed ability usually with some newbies to whom a lionfish is awesome. We become blase about sealife and working out there I need to remember this myself.
Glad to hear you are diving with Camel - will look out for you. I work there when I'm needed and arrive back tomorrow - yipee!:D
Lets hope the big stuff is still about!!!

Hi Scubadad, thanks for the input. Yeah, Jackson is right at the top of my list!! and if no one takes me - I'm swimming there! :wink: I've got 5-6 days so will likely give 2 days to it for best chances etc.

I did love the Yolanda site last time I was there, which had the biggest Napoleon wrasse I've seen in my life! and a few blue spotted stingrays - quite common too but I do love them.
Good to hear you are working with Camel, possibly will see you there, reserved my place yesterday - believe I might be with the club based out of Iberotel. May send you a pm nearer the time. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom