Anyone been diving in Amed, Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have...Just Ok diving (yawn)...spend your time in Tulamben, Monkey reef or a spot I hear is good is Padangbai also depending upon the time of year you are going go see the Molas Molas.....been to Bali 3 times....Good diving.

Pamela
We did last year, easy and good diving but not special, costal, slope, wall and artificial corals, lot of small fishes, we also saw rays, baby reef shark, napoleon wrasse, nudi. Basic accomodation only so we stayed at Tulamben.

I think you are being a bit harsh - Amed is nice easy diving in a relaxed atmosphere - There are a few nice resorts and it is a great place to hang out for a couple of days

Thanks for the info, everyone! Maybe we'll head out there at the end of the week. Any suggestion for dive ops?
And, by the way, where is Monkey Reef? I've not heard of it.
Happy bubble trails!
Pamela

see next post. How the heck do you delete one of these things? :)

Any suggestion for dive ops?
Pamela

If you dive at Tulamben (which you should do, at least once, at the Liberty Wreck), Jukung Dive in Tulamben will pick you up in Amed using a van; the drive to Tulamben is about 20-25 minutes. It's a good op. The Liberty wreck is a shore dive. Non-shore dives with Jukung were reached via the jukung boats. You'll get to practice some basic skills since these boats are too narrow to suit up in; you climb into the water, and put on your bcd in while hanging onto the junkung's pontoon.

Thanks for the info, everyone! Maybe we'll head out there at the end of the week. Any suggestion for dive ops?
Happy bubble trails!
Pamela

I dove last year with White Sand divers...great guys. They do not have a web site but I booked them thru Bayu Cottages in Amed....there are a lot of good ops in Bali. One I have also used is Aquamarine, they are excellent but aways from Tulamben area.....you should find a local op.

Monkey Reef is about 15 minutes south of Tulamben.....if I have a choice between Amed wall area or Monkey reef....do Monkey good diving. I have dove 4 sites at Tulamben including the Liberty Wreck.....very good diving....In fact if I had a choice between Bali or Wakatobi...I'd do Bali....if you have a chance do the Padangbai area I hear that is also very good!

Something better than a tip....Bring Quiksilver Tee shirts and give them away as the tip...the guys will love ya!!!!

Good Diving

Last edited:
There are many options to dive in Amed. There are sites which are rarely visited by most dive centres. They usually just do routine route (Tulamben shipwreck, Drop offs, Amed Walls, Jemeluk, etc)... so for something different, ask them to go to Gili Selang, for some great drift dives (make sure your guide KNOWS the site, it can be tricky and dangerous dive there). Also try Bunutan bay. Also try Lipah bay, another the shipwreck (Japanese).

Staying in Amed will give you more options, and in general it is nicer than staying in Tulamben. You will stay in the middle of low-profile fishermen village. For backpackers, there are many small hotels which cost from Rp. 50.000,- per night. For a more comfortable choice try Bayu Cottages. They are always booked up, so be ahead of time. www.bayucottages.com. They can also arrange your dive trips with local divecentres. The owner is PADI instructor.

Monkey Reefs is in Tulamben - or more precisely, in Kubu.

One more information. How nice your dive is, also depends on when you dive. Try to pick up a date which are at least three days aways to full-moon, or no-moon... !

Hope this helps you.

Enjoy Amed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom