Clark Hill - Augusta, GA 6/14-15/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Two good days of diving. Vis is low between 20-35' (2-3'), but 6-8' above and 15-20' on the walls. Sat was 2 dives- 82' for 55 min. and 87' for 45 min. John and I dove Sat and Sunday Jeff and I dove dive 1 and then dove two with (DT and friend) from Columbia. Dives Sunday were 99' for 66 min bottom time (mutlilevel profile) and 82' for 56 min. The walls are great with 15-20' vis. Nasty stuff in the 20-35' range (except on the dam rocks where you still have about 8' throughout). Dive one was to the 40' ledge, the angel statue, the trench, 100' wall (all of it), the north wall, the 55' wall, the forest, the 63' wall, angel statue, and up for an extended safety stop of 15 min. Most diving was done deep due to the layer of bad vis (thermoclines forming). Dive two was with the Columbia folk - 40' ledge. angel statue, 63' wall, 80' wall, 3 big rocks, the plane, 40' ledge and a long time on the dam rocks. Schools of striper and several cats. Nice diving.

I just got my certification and I am looking for a local diver who I can go with and learn about Clarks Hill because i want to go see the plane and that angel you mentioned. How cold is it in the lake during summer time? Do I need 5 or 7mm wetsuit or 3mm is enough? I have not bought my gear yet because I want to buy stuff that will accomodate the type of diving I'll be doing there. Thank you.

For local diving I recommend the following exposure protection: 7mm fullsuit (one piece) a hood (5-7mm), at least 3mm gloves (though 5-7mm is great for winter, 3mm gets you through most months - we dive year round), and 5-7mm boots (not low cut). Locally we dive this exposure protection year round. I dive this on every local dive year round. Local temps at depth (below 60') in the lake -even in the middle of summer are in the 60's. River temps rarely are above 72 degrees. I do not become overheated in this gear. 3mm only works in the top 20' of the lake and for shorter river dives. If you are cold, your air consumption rate will suffer. 5mm to me is a bad choice all around. It really isn't enough for local year round and is a bit much for the Caribbean. I have a 4/3mm for the warm stuff (S. Florida and Caribbean). Remember, if it ain't 98.6 F degrees you are losing body heat. Cold = increased air consumption rate.
As a newer diver, I would suggest you join us on our 2nd dives locally to build experience (1st dives tend to be near or at 100' or so). Send me your phone number in a pm and I share our schedule. I will not be diving this weekend however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom