Complete package set-ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
I've noticed something that some of you may have know for a long time but new divers need to know. Its when picking out your gear some things work great together and some things dont. I read a lot of Rosdales ratings on mask and Regs and find that they say that my Genesis 2000 reg has a problem with bubble interferance. I've never seen a bubble in front of my mask unless I look up. So that started me thinking about my Mask with its mega volume. My mask attually catchs any air and routes it round the sides. I think the Low volume mask the Rosdale so highly rates are the problem with bubble interferance with so many of the tested regs not the regs themselves. Anybody agree/disagree.
Just makes me wonder how some low scoring set-ups would score with a different gear configuration. I think that is why you have to try before you buy and match equipment to the use at hand especialy with all the different types of diving availiable to us now...

Hey Swamp rat,

well, IMHO - the "bubble interference" is a load of c**p - this is the biggest joke ever - it may have been an issue 50 years ago - but it just comes to show you what the ratings in rodales are worth... the reason you don't have it - is probably because there are none - btw - what is the definition of bubble intereference?

I see it this way - last time I purchased a pair of jeans - I did not check that there were "5" pockets - same thing goes for the interference.

Rodales is a specialty magazine and they have to write something even remotely new to keep people buying it...

Anyway -
Dane

When I first started looking for gear I read all that I could and thought well Rosdale was the consumer report for the Dive industry. Dont get me wrong I like there mag. I find good info in it but there ratings and test I believe have to be taken with a grain of salt (cup of salt water in this case) same for any other information gained other than first hand.

It's one data point and should not be the only information source considered for any purchase.

I like your thinking about evaluating the gear vs. the other gear you have or will be buying -- makes a lot of sense.

Hey Wet dane...

5o years ago our pioneering bretheren & sistership were using double hose regulators & ALL the bubbling emerged from behind the diver's head!

Some photographers still use these regs. for just that fact, despite the system's gruesome breathing resistance.

D.S.D.

Just another observatioon on bubble interference. As it pertains to photo taking interference, I decided to try some regs that divert the bubbles off to either side of the face. I found in some of those regs the bubbles did indeed divert nicely off to the side of my face and right into my ears! Not pleasant.

Cheers Bubbles in the Ears (sorry for stealing your line Greg),

Laura

Well, I am glad someone else said it first--I have a reputation for not always seeing the positive! The day a dive mag lists a group of masks, fins, whatever, in order of performance, value, etc., will be the day that I begin to take their scriblings seriously. But that will also likely be the day they lose advert. revenues.

A recent personal example is the Mares ESA mask. Mine leaked like a sieve after just a few dives. I thought it was because I got kicked by a novice diver. It turns out that many people had problems with leaking ESAs. The mask seems to have had a design flaw. No scuba mag wrote about that--and had it not been for this site, I may not have heard about others' problems. Mares may have fixed the problem--I got a replacement and it is working fine so far. But, this is the kind of info a dive mag should be publishing.

Rodale's does publish reader reports on resorts and dive shops with along with ratings...but I wonder how much editing goes into those???

Joewr

joewr:
Rodale's is a frickin' joke. In a recent reg review every reg except those that failed the US Navy and CEN(?) tests recieved a tester choice endorsment. That turn out to be something like 23 out of 26 reg, the numbers maybe off I don't have the rag in front of me. When was the last time Consumer Reports gave that many recommendations at one time? A recent "cover story" on the 15 secrets of deep diving turned out to be a 15 question quiz?!?! The quiz made no mention trimix diving and one answer suggested it was ok to dive air to as deep as 200 fsw. I guess i could always think of such things as Rodale's effort to thin out the gene pool of people stupid enough to deep air dive.

Here's a little joke for you: Q: How do ensure not just good review from Rodale's (good is easy: just give them gear) but a glowing review? A: Give gear and buy a half page ad.

SR:
One of my initial attractions to DIR was because it is an intergrated system, all parts are designed to work to together as well as possible. Diving is very gear intensive sport and as such many divers seem to be eager to add gear to their kit without thinking through the ramifications. DIR on the other hand tales a holistic apporoach to gear. Most divers, DIR or not, could benefit from this approach to gear configuration issues.

Sam

P.S. I agree with most on this thread BI is BS

Sam,

Sometimes I feel like maybe my drummer is playing a different tune! I am glad to hear that someone else has the same impression that I do of Rodale's. Their "technique" of using a quiz to teach people is beyond me. Most people learn by hearing, reading, watching the "correct" answer and, then, use a quiz to further implant the ideas. What purpose does it serve to have people make guesses if they do not already know the info? Now, I love mysteries, solving puzzles and doing research, but when I want info, I would like it delivered in a straight forward manner if it is available. Rodale's quiz technique--they have used it before--is just plain misquided in my opinion. I only get the mag because it was a gift subscription.

However, one reason I like, at least, some magazine input is for heads up on new products. I used to rely on magazines for info on dive sites and resorts, but now find the internet and personal contact serves that need quite satisfactorily.

Geez, Sam, you are doing nothing for my reputation!

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom