Juneau Skagway visitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in the Juneau/Skagway area for most of July. I'll probably be working every day and I'm a warm water wuss when it comes to diving.

If you could pick two of your favorite things up there, what would they be, restaurant, bar, hike, kayak, waterfall, overlook, photo ops, etc. What time does it get dark in July up there.

I'll be on the EPA Ship, drop by and say Hi, they will be doing open house tours. PM me and depending on the schedule I might be able to do a private tour.

There is a chance my job may take me to the same ports in the next month or 2. If we cross paths, I can setup a private tour of my ship if you're interested. mine is 968' bow to stern, and about 175 port to starboard and 20 decks. I'm not much into the ship terminology as I have a completely unrelated job on board :wink:

Right now Sunrise is 0351 and Sunset is 2208. Solstice is next week so this is about as long as the days get.

In Juneau, the restaurant selection basically sucks. There's good food but we aren't a culinary mecca that's for sure. Boating and Kayaking are great! Lots to see, Bears are everywhere, an evening drive out the road you should see several. Otherwise hiking is great, there are tons of trails and some of the potential views are unbelievable.

Skagway is a cool little town but other than hiking there isn't much to do. The drive from Skagway to Carcross is about as scenic as any place in the world it's spectacular. The train is a must do I suppose, I haven't ever done it but my wife and kids have. If you are a serious hiker, Skagway is the starting point of the Chilkoot trail.

Dave

In Juneau there is an awesome restaurant right near the base of the Mt. Roberts Tramway, st the south end of the cruise ship docks. i think it is in the same building as the Taku Smokery. For the life of me i cant remember the name. It is a little pricey, but the food was great and is served with these cheese-knot rolls. Last summer when I was in the area for 4 months I ate there nearly every other week with friends. Nothing like having the day off work (which happened typically on the days i was in Juneau), spending the day hiking or photobugging, then a nice meal and a cold beer before heading back to the ship.

Leko is talking about the "Twisted Fish" one of my wifes fav's...also correct about the pricy part. "Island Pub" on Douglas Island is really nice one the weekends, ususally Fri/Sat ,they have a live bluegrass type band going serve the largest beers in town and make some awesome pizzia. Other than that it's pretty bleak.

Hiking is great but recommendations would vary with your fitness level. Lots of good stuff at any level but for sure some stuff you need to be prepared for.

Twisted Fish Co. thats the one!! and I agree completely, some of the hiking definitely needs some preparation. I made it to the top of Mt. Roberts / Mt Juneau twice and a ways up, it got rough.

Below is a pic I took of a sign only a short ways up Mt Roberts. this sign was about a 45 minute hike up from the top of the tramway.

I don't remember the exact name of the site, but if you hike all the way up the road that goes up the big hill on the north side of town, then follow the roads back through the neighborhood to the east, there is a really nice nature trail back there that is built on top of an old gold mining flume. Its a really scenic walk. back in the same area is the "last chance mine" where you can go gold panning. I frequented the area and tried panning a few times and found a few very small pieces of gold.

If anyone knows anyone in Ketchikan, let m e know, I need a HUGE favor :)

Attachments

• DSC_8337 (Large).jpg
    DSC_8337 (Large).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 112
There are several folks from KTN on this board.

Twisted fish is definitely good food, By Alaska standards it's really not all that pricey but it's got tile floors and wood ceilings so it's very loud in there.

Josh - you like Bluegrass? Oh were going to have some fun with that! Wait till I tell the boys!

DM

I didn't say I liked bluegrass!!! Please note the large beer and good pizzia part.

Hey want to do Mayflower Island with us tonight?

large beer and good pizzia part.

What? Did someone say large beer and pizza:eyebrow:
Hey! I even like bluegrass! On a side note, several of us down here were considering underwater geocaching for southeast (after several large beers) you folks try that up in Juneau yet?

Poog:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom