move up to a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently debating moving up to a computer. any advice on a quality computer, but not willing to spend everything i have. i have made it to the bottom and back up just fine using my tables and bottom timer, but i think a computer would be much easier. any advice would be appreciated. will be diving 99% of the time in fresh canadian waters, also am thinking i will eventually get into nitrox

i bought the Aeris XR2......wrist computer, nitrox capable, easy to read/use, won't break the bank........about $300

At the very least you will be able to extend your bottom times significantly using a computer. There are a number of reasonable options, and if you avoid Air integrated (for price only) you will keep the costs down as well.

Staying away from air integrated will make it cheaper as will getting an air only instead of one that can do air and nitrox. I use the Cressi Archimedes II. It's a very feature rich computer at a very reasonable price. The unit itself is made by Seiko and is used by Cressi, Tusa, Dive Rite, Zeagle, and maybe a couple others. I think Aeris used to have a model that used this as the base. They are all the same with slight differences in screen layout. All the above can be had for somewhere in the $300's. Here is a link to an online demo of the Cressi to give you an idea. I bought the PC link for the computer as well. THe software is a free download from Cressi. It's nice getting to see your dive profile and having it keep track of everything for you.

Multimedia

And, here's a recommendation for the Suunto Gekko.

Everybody has an opinion, and until they run out of varieties of computers, they'll all be different.

One thing I found helpful was to research threads in this forum on the differences between the different computer 'families'. They range from conservative to liberal - and one is not inherently better than another. What is important is that you understand where yours stands, and how to adjust it, if you need to. Also, if you're regularly diving with one or two others, you might wish to consider what they're using - for compatibility of NDL times.

Personally, I've liked my Suunto Stinger so much I bought a second one.

Blake,

If you are looking to move up to a computer, and yet keep things within budget, then what the others are saying is right.

I would generally go for a wrist-mount, without air integration, but I would definitely get a computer that is nitrox compatible. As the diving industry evolves and nitrox is used more and more it makes sense to have a computer that follows this trend. That being said many lines carry basic nitrox computers at very comparable prices and with very comparable features (Nismo was right in saying that a number of manufacturers sell the same computer, just rebranded).

As far as what we have in shop the Mares Puck Wrist (<$300) and Mares Nemo Sport (<$350) are both nitrox compatible and the Aeris XR-2 (<$300) and Aeris XR-1Nx (<$300) are nitrox compatible as well.

For a new computer the Aeries XR2 is a great computer for the cost.

For a used computer, I don't think the XR2 is any better than the Atmos II, and the Atmos II can be purchased used on the cheap, and are very reliable. Look at ebay, Craigs list ect. for used stuff.

I have both the Epic, and Atomos II. I use both, the Atmos II as a backup. Both have user replaceable batteries which IMO is mandatory for a dive computer.

I have just purchased a Suunto Gekko for my daughter, it is really excellent. It will do Nitrox and it is clear, obvious and easy to read. I don' think you can go wrong with it, the price is reasonable too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom