Isle of Shoals Dive Shop/Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanne001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are considering taking an impromptu trip to the Isle of Shoals this 4th of July weekend to dive with the seals. Can anyone tell me what dive op/charter I should use. It doesn't really matter if we go to NH or MA. Any suggestions? Is it too late to go? Are they only thier for a short time or are they (the seals) there all year long? Do I need a dry suit or is a dive skin, 7 MM Excel wetsuit with 7 MM hooded vest OK? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeanne

The charter boat I knew about that was based in Rye went out of business. I don't know if anyone else up there or in Maine has a dive charter to the Isle of Shoals. I know that Fran Marcoux on Daybreaker ((508) 873-8339 or (508) 335-6339) occasionally heads there and I believe Cape Ann Divers (www.capeanndivers.com) has an occasional charter there too. I don't know Fran's schedule and Cape Ann looks like only 1 of their boats is booked that day. You might be able to get a charter going if you have enough people (you'll have to get in touch with them to find out how many is enough).

The dive is fairly shallow, but a 7mm w/hood is probably a good idea as the water can be a bit cold. I was there in August 2004 and it was just under 60 (and it can be a long dive - well over an hour). I believe the seals are there at this point, but someone else could probably confirm for you.

Good luck!

Ide recommend a drysuit. The water temps are usually 50-55 F. You can get by with 7mm if you can tolerate the cold. Ide suggest doing a dive in Cape Anne to test your cold tolerance in a 7mm as temps are 50-60 there.

We had one girl who attempted to layer neoprene and didnt feel well being so contricted thus she scrubbed her dives.

Try northeast charter boat Northeast Charter Boat Company Maine New Hampshire. I did a seal dive with them last year. According to my log: dove on 8/18/07, water temp:61deg, max depth:20fsw, 13fsw average. Boat crew was very friendly, excellent briefing. I did not like the boat setup. It does not have a walk-through transom, so you have to roll off the side rail. The boat has about 3' of freeboard so, its a somewhat long drop if you're not used to it. You should be fine in 7mm, with hood, and gloves. My instabuddy was diving 3mm (visiting from FLA), and didn't complain. The seals are there and they will play with you. They are very cautious though. I lay on the bottom on my back and they would come and check me out. They actually follow divers from behind, but you don't notice they're there. In general a very good time. About a 45min run from portsmouth.

Hi. I second Northeast Charters--they are out of Portsmouth. I have been on seal/wall dives with them 3 times and have had a blast each time. Fantastic seal encounters each time. I strongly recommend a 7mm wetsuit--I was fine in that, but anything less, I would have been cold. You need to just be patient, and then the seals come. They really seem to be fascinated by yellow fins.

Back
Top Bottom