Good food for less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenbear01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are some of the inexpensive but good places to eat on the islands?

I'll be staying near Waikiki beach in August, but I'm considering exploring the island and/or island-hopping.

Thanks!

cool...thanks! btw, why is food called grinds?

i was thinking that, but i wasn't sure...thanks... :)

First thing to do is walk toward Ala Moana...there are tons of eateries around the Mall area...Waikiki will be expensive...

I work in the Ala Moana area...many of the places serve what is called "plate lunch"...focusing on breakfast and lunches...a lot of food cheap..typical fare includes Hamburger Steak, Chicken Cutlet (chicken katsu), korean style bbq chicken/beef, with rice and a side of macaroni salad...lots of food in the Sub $6.00 range.

One of my favorite places to go is a lunch wagon called Ronnies that is located for lunch across Ala Moana Blvd from the Land Rover dealership...they have really good food for $5.50. Just to give you an idea...I paid $5.50 for Cajun Blackened Ahi/Steamed Veggies/Rice...and it was a big chunk...They usually have some sort of fresh fish dish to go along with their normal fare...everything I've tried there is awesome...and only $5.50/plate

For dinner, go walk around the Walmart area on Keeamoku st (behind the Ala Moana Mall)...They have great Vietnamese (Pho is a rice noodle dish that is awesome The Green Papaya is one of my favorites (I eat the Garlic Shrimp/Lemon Grass Chicken combo)...Thai, Japanese Ramen, etc.

Not far away is the Sidestreet Inn...try their Pork Chops and fried rice...

Also hit up Camelia...it's a fun place to eat...It's Korean style...a circular grill is in the middle of the table, you go and get raw, marinated meats and vegetables to cook yourself...all you can eat fun! It's off of McCully St.

Eh...too many places to name...post up what you feel like eating...that will narrow down the choices.

What are some of the inexpensive but good places to eat on the islands?

I'll be staying near Waikiki beach in August, but I'm considering exploring the island and/or island-hopping.

Thanks!

Nico's at Pier 38 for fresh, delicious seafood served plate-lunch style. (It's right next door to the fish market)

Matsumoto's in Haleiwa for Shave Ice

Elena's in Waipahu for mouth-watering Filipino food

Ono's for Hawaiian food-- a must!

Leonard's Bakery for malasadas

I better stop, I'm getting hungry :eyebrow:

Eh...too many places to name...post up what you feel like eating...that will narrow down the choices.

i'm pretty much up for anything that's tasty and low-cost...pretty much everything you've listed sounds goooood! i think i'll probably hit them all up on my next visit to oahu (should be august)...i have no known food allergies and i generally eat everything (well, within reason--i draw the line at bugs and brains)...the fresh fish is definitely sounding good--i'm a huge seafood fan!

Nico's at Pier 38 for fresh, delicious seafood served plate-lunch style. (It's right next door to the fish market)

Matsumoto's in Haleiwa for Shave Ice

Elena's in Waipahu for mouth-watering Filipino food

Ono's for Hawaiian food-- a must!

Leonard's Bakery for malasadas

I better stop, I'm getting hungry :eyebrow:

where are these wonderful places you mention? i'll be staying in the waikiki area, are these places nearby? if not, can i get to them by taking the bus?

thanks!

are semi close to Waikiki...within 2mi at the most...

You can google the restaurant names and they will pop up one way or another...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom