So should I buy Hollis BCDs? I need opinions please. Thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear Scuba board forum members,

I am a long time scuba diver qualified in Naui, BSAC and PADI basics since 1992. I paid for and did my dive master course though i never registered for my card or quals, passed btw. (i was part -timing at a dive shop when i did it in the good old days). I am now a recreational diver who doesn't dive tech anymore, but is still more comfortable in tech gear. I am 5'9" and a broad 210 pounds. I dive anywhere from 20 dives to 100 dives a year in the indo pacific waters and my set up is normally single tank, yoke, with a alu 80. I run Apeks tx50 and atx50 reg and octo set.

I used a zeagle ranger and sea quest raider for many years and over 400+ dives. I switched to sea quest pro qd jacket for over 200+ and I want to switch back to back floatation in a tech or sport/tech style. I am considering hollis systems, what should I be aware of and is it the right choice? before this I was thinking Dive rite transpac II.

I may even be a volume buyer as i have recently introduced my girlfriend and sister to diving and they are needing equipment too.

I was thinking that i could get a hollis HTS system and maybe 2 hollis ATS bcds for them. I will be buying from a oceanic/hollis dealer as there is one in singapore.

what do you guys think? cheers, TM

Either one is a good choice! I did get an opportunity to dive with the Hollis Rig a couple months ago and found them to be equal in all categories, although the Hollis maybe a little more stylish? They both offer a lot of benefits and are adjustable to your needs! I like the look of the Hollis as I said and they are a west coast company that has put a lot of time and engineering into their line! I have to disclose that I dive Dive-Rite Transpac, but would have no problem switching over to Hollis! I would strongly recommend Hollis if that is the way you're leaning!

Is there something specific you are looking at?

Dear Papabear,

Yeah i'm looking at using it to travel with so weight is a concern. Right now its a toss up between HTS with integrated pockets and 38lb wing or the elite harness with alu plate, integrated weight pockets and 38lb wing.

I am seeking the lightest combination so any advice there would be tops.

If they are lighter than the ATS, then that is what i'll buy, but if the ats is lighter then its ATS all the way. I reckon cos i only do warm water recreational diving these things are but a cool vanity, but big boys must have their toys I reckon.

any advice mate? thanks for the reply btw great nickname, its like i'm replying to santa or the tooth fairy hahahaha!

cheers, TM

I would go with the soft harness and not the plate for travel with wight being so tough these days! I would also go Pocket Wight Belt instead of integrated, you can put so trim wight on the BCD and use less on the belt, again for the sake of lighter packing and travel! I like detachable pockets and use the D rings with a clip so you can access the pocket! Keep it simple and streamline and it always works best:wink: If it weren't for wight issues I would tell you to go for the back plates, but times three will be a bit too much! With the trim pockets on the BCD you can trim and adjust as needed, I have seen too many integrated pockets on the bottom, or riped of handing your gear up on smaller boats......

BTW seeing all the new Hollis stuff was like being at Santa's Work shop! :D:wink:

Dear trapmonkey,
Is there a Hollis dealer in SG?Im quite keen on the Elite Harness but I dont know where to get it in SG?

yup the oceanic people in parklane shooping centre are the dealers. level 3 i think cheers,TM

Trapmonkey>> Your setup seem pretty heavy to me already with the backplates and all. Do you think you still need a weight pouch?

I am a long time scuba diver qualified in Naui, BSAC and PADI basics since 1992. I paid for and did my dive master course though i never registered for my card or quals, passed btw. (i was part -timing at a dive shop when i did it in the good old days). I am now a recreational diver who doesn't dive tech anymore, but is still more comfortable in tech gear. I am 5'9" and a broad 210 pounds. I dive anywhere from 20 dives to 100 dives a year in the indo pacific waters and my set up is normally single tank, yoke, with a alu 80. I run Apeks tx50 and atx50 reg and octo set.

I used a zeagle ranger and sea quest raider for many years and over 400+ dives. I switched to sea quest pro qd jacket for over 200+ and I want to switch back to back floatation in a tech or sport/tech style. I am considering hollis systems, what should I be aware of and is it the right choice? before this I was thinking Dive rite transpac II.

I may even be a volume buyer as i have recently introduced my girlfriend and sister to diving and they are needing equipment too.

I was thinking that i could get a hollis HTS system and maybe 2 hollis ATS bcds for them. I will be buying from a oceanic/hollis dealer as there is one in singapore.

Buy your Hollis with confidence, it is very solid. I have purchased five of the Hollis Harnesses B/Ps and wings for singles and doubles. I have started to use the aluminum B/P, solo harness and 25lb. donut wing for students. The solo can be adjusted to fit any diver like a custom rig. No students hanging from the BCD like a monkey at the zoo.

The inherent buoyancy of the BCD is negative, as it should be. This allows you to get by with much less weight on the belt. A standard web belt may be adjusted to optimize your trim at the surface. The 25lb. donut wing has near zero drag and doesn’t trap air, ever. The horizontal trim during the dive allows you to hover with ease, even first time students are amazing in the horizontal hover.

Divers that use the crotch strap have plenty of room to comfortably use a standard web weight belt over the strap. This is an amazing custom fit for a diver. Personally I dive full 7mm gear, SS BP/25lb. wing. Using an AL 100cf cylinder I am neutral at the end of the dive using no weight. This is very a streamline rig making the dive effortless and reducing air consumption.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions…

Last edited:

As an instructor, I have a lot of opportunities to sell gear to my students, OW through DM. I currently dive and teach in a DR TransPac and I love it. It is an extremely versatile rig. The only drawback for me is that it isn't made to use with a backplate. For that I had to purchase the TransPlate harness from DR to work with my SS plate. Students constantly ask me what I like about my gear and I tell them. Unfortunately, the shop I teach for doesn't push/stock DR gear so they miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Today, the shop received a shipment of Hollis gear including some ATS BCDs and DC1 212 regulators. I won't sell anything I haven't tested myself, so this weekend, I'm going diving with the owner of the dive shop and we're going to try out a Hollis ATS BCD as well as the DC1 212 regulator. Will let you know what I think.

Nick- I'm interested in the HTS if it can be easily converted to use with a backplate. However, I do like a couple more D-rings on the shoulder straps (personal preference) and with the TransPac you can add as many of them as you want. Is this possible with the HTS as well?

As an instructor, I have a lot of opportunities to sell gear to my students, OW through DM. I currently dive and teach in a DR TransPac and I love it. It is an extremely versatile rig. The only drawback for me is that it isn't made to use with a backplate. For that I had to purchase the TransPlate harness from DR to work with my SS plate. Students constantly ask me what I like about my gear and I tell them. Unfortunately, the shop I teach for doesn't push/stock DR gear so they miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Today, the shop received a shipment of Hollis gear including some ATS BCDs and DC1 212 regulators. I won't sell anything I haven't tested myself, so this weekend, I'm going diving with the owner of the dive shop and we're going to try out a Hollis ATS BCD as well as the DC1 212 regulator. Will let you know what I think.

Nick- I'm interested in the HTS if it can be easily converted to use with a backplate. However, I do like a couple more D-rings on the shoulder straps (personal preference) and with the TransPac you can add as many of them as you want. Is this possible with the HTS as well?

Hi SD,

Yes, the HTS harness can be used with or without a backplate.

Whether you wish to add or subtract d-rings, this can be easily modified by unweaving the shoulder strap.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom