CHENG HO Sorong --> Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manitou0304

Registered
Reaction score
NOVEMBER 18-30 2007 INDONESIA Sorong--> Ambon
experience - >250 dives, 5+ liveaboards

In contra distinction I would give the Kararu Raja Ampah trip a good to v good review. Perhaps it is the perspective from which we enjoy our vacations ??
What has been previously written has truth. It is an old boat and there are leaks... but only when it rains, and torrentially rains ! And we are not talking buckets and significant discomfort. The able and efficient crew was on top of all items which need to be addressed while on the trip. (I may add that the other day there was a bucket to catch rain water from a leaky roof in the hospital where I work...) NO ONE experienced any discomfort...
As previously described, the boat is large and can accommodate many divers. What makes the trip is the diving experience and the fellowship which forms. The crew, professional photographer, and guides added greatly in making this trip well worth any mild inconveniences. There is a lot of spirit on board and we all had a wonderful time.
Individual items:
-rooms were comfortable and a bit dark. Bathrooms were old and needed work. (All bathrooms were re-done early 2008 - good improvement. Hopefully we will all learn to conserve water also...) Chocolate on your pillow at bedtime - nice perk. AC worked the whole trip !
-meals - different accent/culture each night. all good to v good. lots of carbohydrates... Suggest a last evening feast - a cut above foods.
-water temp 84-85 all the time.
-travel arrangements done by Kararu and done extremely well, even when flights needed to be changed...
-good library
-diving visibility v good 50-80 feet in places. the BEST and most beautiful hard and soft coral i have seen. vibrant for sure.
-observed: clown triggerfish protecting eggs, translucent shrimp, fimbrated clam, giant clams, brown eel plus the regulars, 2 species of sea snakes- sleep in caves on shore (!), boxtail squid-tiny blue, octipus - 8", unicorn fish, batfish-juvenile and adults, calico grouper, bannerfish, rainbow runners, fusiliers, soldier fish, snapper, frogfish-pigmy and giant, leaf fish, spiny balloon fish, rhinopius, flamboyant cuttlefish, porcupine fish, puffer, boxfish, mandarin, spotted sweetlipe -spotted black/white, lionfish, scorpion fish, pigmy seahorse, seahorses, pipefish (2-3), ghost pipefish, lobster crab
To summarize:
-well worth the trip and I would travel with this group again. Dive crew makes the trip, on all levels of service. The emphasis is on the quality of the diving, camaraderie, fellowship, cruising, accommodations-beds were comfortable. Yes the boat is old and fumes can be smelled, few roof leaks, and it creaks, etc. But to critique this boat as a bad trip is a disservice to those who want the adventure of exploring the Indonesian islands...

I think it is very good that you enjoyed your trip. Personally, having been on this boat, I would never use it again. There are many other boats that exceed the quality of the Cheng Ho and at the same price.

I guess everyone has their own views and things that are really important to one person may matter much less to another. I had and absolutely fantastic trip of Cheng Ho to Raja Ampat in April. Not everything was perfect. Sometimes it seemed we dropped in the wrong spot, rooms are a bit dark, but on balance it was a wonderful trip. The crew were great. The Indonesian dive guides were fabulous. I have to say I am almost always happy when I am diving, but I would dive with Kararu again in a heart beat. In fact I am planning another trip as soon as I can get away from work for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom