Portsmouth Pierce Island Wall 6/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Was too nice a day. Looked outside, ooked at my calendar, saw no conf. calls/appointments, checked tide charts/wind and decided to play hookie. Did two dives.

I timed it right so was able to squeeze in two back to back dives during slack. Water is about 51 degrees at depth, 53 degrees at surface. Saw huge schools of bait fish like I saw last time at Nubble. No Stripers yet.

Dive 1 50 min 76 fsw max. To the point and back
Dive 2 51 min 72 fsw max

Mostly hung around 40 fsw, checked out numerous bugs.

This was my fist dive of season wet. I was fine temp wise both dives.

Knowing too much going on this weekend with family stuff, glad got a dive in.

Good to hear your report, thanks!

What kind of baitfish?

Dave C

Small silvery ones. Kind of like smelts? I'm no fish expert. I would think that there would be tons of bigger fish drawn by them. (e.g. Stripers) There was also an unsual amount of schools of other small fish I hadn't seen before. (Minnows?) Was kind of cool, mesmorizing during SS to hang with these schools swirling around.

Small silvery ones. Kind of like smelts? I'm no fish expert. I would think that there would be tons of bigger fish drawn by them. (e.g. Stripers) There was also an unsual amount of schools of other small fish I hadn't seen before. (Minnows?) Was kind of cool, mesmorizing during SS to hang with these schools swirling around.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping, since I'm going to do a little casting for stripers next week! :D

Sounds like a nice dive. I like to be surrounded by schools of fish while diving, too. Pretty exciting!

Dave C

Sand eels were wicked thick up in the Kennebunk area a week ago. I was under some schools that turned the bottom nearly night like darkness.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom