U853: June 21, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Earl, Ed, Matt, Brian and I did a WWII history tour today with a dive on the U853 followed by a dive on its final victim, the Black Point.

When we arrived on site the charter Atlantis was on the Bow mooring. We took the stern mooring (there was a third mooring on the conning tower as well) and Ed and Brian splashed in first while the rest of us watched the boat. They came back up reporting excellent visibility so Matt and I splashed in next, followed by Earl a short time behind us. I had nitrox 29 and Matt had air so I was planning to run a longer profile.

Ed and Brian weren't exaggerating about the visibility, it was as good as I have ever seen it on the 853. I could see the wreck when it was still over 30ft below me.

The bottom temperature was 48 degrees and there were plenty of fish on the wreck. We worked our way forward up to the bow then all the way back to the stern. When we reached the stern Matt signaled me that his time was up. A moment after he turned for the line I caught sight of a nice 4+ ft torpedo ray sitting in the sand under the stern below me. I quickly got Matt's attention with my light beam and pointed it out so he'd at least get a glimpse of it before he headed for home.

Here is a shot of the conning tower to give you an idea about the vis:
853a.jpg

Here is Matt:
853b.jpg

And here is the torpedo ray (look for the outline in the sand).
853c.jpg

For the second dive we headed over to the Blackpoint. Unfortunately since the last time we had been on it last summer the wreck has been badly fouled by a large monfilament gillnet. Matt and I cut up a bunch of it with our knives to try and reduce the impact, but there were quite a lot of dead fish in it and there was a lot of net there. Really a shame.

Unfortunately since the last time we had been on it last summer the wreck has been badly fouled by a large monfilament gillnet. Matt and I cut up a bunch of it with our knives to try and reduce the impact, but there were quite a lot of dead fish in it and there was a lot of net there. Really a shame.

not to mention snagging the anchor. I was amazed to see the whole site fouled by netting. Guess it's one of the hard truths about NE wreck diving, but good for me to actually deal w/ on a dive.

The 853 was incredible!!! :D Can't wait to do more exploring next time. Great shot of the ray.

Wow. That's some cool dive. How big was the torpedo ray? Is the animal growth on the conning tower Metridium, or other? Very neat stuff...sorry about seeing nets with dead critters in it. Always a drag to see waste of life.

Cheers.

X

Wow. That's some cool dive. How big was the torpedo ray? Is the animal growth on the conning tower Metridium, or other? Very neat stuff...sorry about seeing nets with dead critters in it. Always a drag to see waste of life.

Cheers.

X

Some of it is Metridium. A lot of it is also Turbularia.

The torpedo ray was probably a little over 4 ft long.

Some of it is Metridium. A lot of it is also Turbularia.

The torpedo ray was probably a little over 4 ft long.

Cheers. What a fun dive...especially seeing a Torpedo Ray. The last one I saw was @ Catalina Island. He wasn't afraid of anyone. He loved giving divers a charge!

X

The 853 was incredible!!! :D Can't wait to do more exploring next time. Great shot of the ray.

You definitely picked a great day for your first trip to the 853. I wish I could say it was always like that. :D

Hello,

Indeed a wonderful day. We had the chance to take a video. My two lights were out. Still, we managed thanks to the enormous natural lights. After two years of my first dive on the sub, this is the first time to really see the whole thing. Well please enjoy the video, keep an eye on...the rudder, two blast wholes, torpedo load, bow, conning tower, and yes the bone.

http://amazing-ocean.com/videos/RIWrecks_U853_06222008.mp4

Ed

Chris it looks like you had great vis. We were just finishing our last dives in Truk
while you guys were on the U Boat.

Great diving on Truk? Did you get any pictures?
There were other events during our diving excursion...the cost guard got very busy.
A Helicopter crashed
A boat Burned or exploded (To be confirm)
A guy crashed on his boat
Other emergency calls including fake calls

Chris it looks like you had great vis. We were just finishing our last dives in Truk
while you guys were on the U Boat.

I think you'll win any visibility competitions! :D

Can't wait to hear the stories and get out diving with you when you return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom