The Bass: June 21, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got brave enough to do a solo dive on the bass. I arrived at the site at 12:30 pm and there was no current at all and calm waters. I descended down the anchor line and as I reached the bottom, there in front of me were large and small-mouth bass. The vis was good (about 15 ft). Total dive time was 90 mins and water temps a balmy 75 F. A very enjoyable dive.

Just a technicality:D

What made it even more enjoyable was the fact the giant white catfish I had been searching for was right before me and I got some nice pics and a small video. According to DEP records, this fish is none native to these waters. It seemed lonely as it seemed to tag along with me. Actually, my boss thinks some bonehead tossed him in there.

A great dive.

Attachments

• the bass-2.jpg
    the bass-2.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 38
  • the-bass-2.JPG
    the-bass-2.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 28
  • the-BASS-3.JPG
    the-BASS-3.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 45
  • the CATFISH-1.JPG
    the CATFISH-1.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 42
  • theCATFISH-2.JPG
    theCATFISH-2.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Excellent choice of thread titles! I think you've spent a bit too much time around One Fin. :D

"I think you've spent a bit too much time around One Fin"

or visa-versa :)

LOL I dont think Ide wanna dive anyplace else. NE diving can be a blast and you better have a sense of humor to really enjoy it.

The walleyes were nice and had thier anal and ventral fins really colored (maybes spawning colors like suckers?) and I could not for the life of me get close to them for a shot.

Alright lets see who gets the most views.

And yes! the thread title format is quite exquisite.

Thanks Dave

Dave the catfish was about 2-1/2 ft long. I estimate 6-8 lbs. I hope it stays around; I'de like to see it get bigger.

Bashan is a nice lake to dive if you hit the right areas.

Well my boss confirmed the white catfish was way out of place in Bashan lake. Looks like someone threw him in there. The bulging eyes were very unique and the white spots on the head appear to be some sort of injury.

The caudal (tail) fin is usually forked with white catfish; but when a fish gets older and bigger, the forked features of the caudal fin tend to diminish.

Incredible what discoveries you fine diving in NE.

Back
Top Bottom